First Burn in my stove last night!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Finally got my NC-13 installed and running. My BIL came over on Sunday and we put it all together. I ran a 15ft flex liner from Chimney Liner Depot. As a last minute purchase I bought the insulation kit also. Installation went pretty smooth. Stuffing the insulated liner down a 13x8 chimney is a heap of fun. I had to cut some of the damper pieces off so the pipe could get by. I also had to put a 90* elbow in, to make it to the top of the stove. All in all I am very happy. The stove kept the house at a steady 68* last night burning small splits of 3 year old oak. The pieces were cut to 25" so I had to cut them up a little so they were small. Our thermostat is at the back of the house away from the stove so the living room had to be warmer. Plus we had a window open for the curing smell.
The heat was set to 64* and it kicked on at 2:30am. I had been burning since 4:00 pm till 9:30 was the last piece of wood. The glass is clean and my bricks are turning tan again in some spots. Burn tubes are silver and the fiber board is white.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Anthony

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 855
Sounds good. Its a rewarding feeling to get the stove working correctly. Now your ready for those power outages. :)

did you do a block-off plate as well?

myzamboni said:
did you do a block-off plate as well?

It's being made right now. I had to wait to see where everything ended up fitting. It's funny, with liner being insulated the chimney is pretty sealed up.

Paint that stove brown and you will have a replica version of BroBarts install except for the model size. You will be like the son he has always wanted. :lol:
Congratulations on your install and new heating machine.

congrats...nice looking install.

congrats Happy burning

Since I'm a relative "newbie" to burning wood INSIDE my house (7 days now), I find these "first burn" posts interesting. I personally don't think I would have opted for putting it inside the fireplace, but to each his own. Looks nice!
With regard to the size of wood, I found that the 1/2 cord I had ordered has had SOME pieces that are all of 20" in length, and have set those aside, since even though my fire box is 20" itself, it's hard to get any kind of reasonable amount of wood in there, that length.
We are burning every day, and have yet to do an intentional "overnight." The stove is filled before I go to bed, and then it burns til perhaps midnight (I'm in bed by 8 PM), and then glows til 2 AM or so.
One note about our "forced hot air" fan, and using it to circulate the heat around the house.........although it equalizes the air somewhat, I find that it still doesn't do a great job of warming the whole house. I was concerned about the finished "family room" and "laundry room" which are below grade, and rightly so. They do not warm up from the circulated air. They do, however, stay cool, (as opposed to cold). All in all, I'm not yet fully satisfied with the transference of air with the blower, nor have I really conquered the "burn all night" arena, yet.
I had, in my "in house" pile of wood, a couple pieces of wood that (obviously were dry enough to burn: less than 20% moisture), had a smooth gray bark, and burned like a bugger!!! I had a good fire going anyway, but I was surprised at the quick catch and the strong flame. Might be some sort of Oak, or Ash, I dunno. Liked the "quick catch" part though.
When the "work" of cleaning ash, getting wood, kindling burning for prep, get's "old," (and it will), just remember that this was to help keep the oil bill down, and not just the "fun" of it. I'm sorta preaching at MYSELF, with that statement, because I'm not really feeling like going upstairs this morning, and baby-sitting a wood stove. (Love the results, don't much like the prep).
-Soupy1957

You got a great stove and looks good too. Bought mine a few weeks ago and love it. The more I burn it the more I like. Last night at 11:30 loaded her up, not jam packed but pretty full. Got her settled, still learning, around 12:30 and went to bed. I didn't touch it until 6:45 and there was enough coals to easily start a new fire from some small splits. It can really put out a-lot of heat if you want too.

Enjoy

FireAnt said:
Finally got my NC-13 installed and running. My BIL came over on Sunday and we put it all together. I ran a 15ft flex liner from Chimney Liner Depot. As a last minute purchase I bought the insulation kit also. Installation went pretty smooth. Stuffing the insulated liner down a 13x8 chimney is a heap of fun. I had to cut some of the damper pieces off so the pipe could get by. I also had to put a 90* elbow in, to make it to the top of the stove. All in all I am very happy. The stove kept the house at a steady 68* last night burning small splits of 3 year old oak. The pieces were cut to 25" so I had to cut them up a little so they were small. Our thermostat is at the back of the house away from the stove so the living room had to be warmer. Plus we had a window open for the curing smell.
The heat was set to 64* and it kicked on at 2:30am. I had been burning since 4:00 pm till 9:30 was the last piece of wood. The glass is clean and my bricks are turning tan again in some spots. Burn tubes are silver and the fiber board is white.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Anthony

Congrats on the stove and DIY install they look great!! You'll be crazy like the rest of us in no time lol...

Ray

Nice looking stove and install. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.