First burn on new stove and an EcoFan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwells794

Jul 22, 2015
Virginia
Put it in with a little help from my stepfather a few weeks back. Burned it about 3 times so far just to break it in before the heavy use season starts and I think I've just about gotten rid of "that smell". You all know what I'm talking about.

Also, for anyone interested, I found a local mill nearby who creates these for burning as a byproduct of their operations and sells them instead of junking the scraps. I was skeptical of the advertised burn time, but I must admit, they do surprisingly well. It's a nice, affordable alternative if you don't have the means or desire to obtain/cut quality firewood. I'm sure there are companies like this across the country. http://libertybricks.yolasite.com/

Lastly, I wanted to ask about the EcoFan. I bought the AirMax model and had to play with it last night. I lit a fire and after a few minutes it started turning. I couldn't really feel air coming off of it, but then again, I was thinking that I was already standing so close to the stove, how could I really tell what was warm air blowing on my face vs. the radiant heat which was very strong itself. Never the less, between the TEG pad and motor, I was wondering if there was any way to "soup it up". Stronger motor, bigger/better TEG pad... or something to that effect. A way to make the fan better than its stock specs. If not, I guess I don't totally regret it lol. It's still a pretty neat concept.

Sorry the pic is kinda dark... looks fine on my phone. Man, I need to clean those sooty hand prints off the mantle XD
Screenshot_2015-10-01-10-51-27.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same fan on top of my stove. It moves very little air, but always wins on "cool factor" points. If you want to see how much air is moving hold a lighter in front of it. Then hold the lighter over the stove without the fan, you can see the small amount of difference. Then hold the lighter in front of a real fan, that will disappoint you. The small amount of energy generated can't turn a bigger fan. Fans take a lot of power, way more than you are creating.

The Eco Fan moves heat not air, its fan blades create a wide disbursement so you really will not feel the fan blowing. It test it hold a piece of newspaper and you will see it move.

The Eco Fan moves heat not air, its fan blades create a wide disbursement so you really will not feel the fan blowing. It test it hold a piece of newspaper and you will see it move.
If this derails the original post I apologize. I do not think the above statement is possible. The stove heats the air that is near to it. Convection then starts the air (not heat, air) moving (rising) in the room, cooler air then moves in to replace the air that rose and the cycle continues. Fans make this cycle faster. A fan can't move heat without moving the air, they are linked. The statement sounds like a salesman statement to convince someone who does not understand the physics of air movement why the fan really does work, when it really doesn't.

As I stated above, people love it. I get happy joy joy comments on mine all the time. It is cool, fun, happy. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it will move much air. I love mine to tell how hot the stove is, I can see from sitting across the room the heat level from how fast the fan is turning. I also have a thermostatically controlled fan sitting near the stove, it turns on when the stove is hot and blows lots of air to circulate throughout the room/house.

While I believe you are correct electrathon, I think MishMouse just wasn't clear in his explanation... and maybe "moves heat not air" wasn't a good choice of words. I think it all boils down to blade curvature. The EcoFan is rated at 175cfm, but no where does it say in what direction. 175 cubic feet of air in an extremely wide cone projection will probably not feel the same to our sense of touch as if we stood in front of 175cfm being directed in a focused direction.

That being said, that doesn't make the EcoFan any better of a product. I think most people buy it under the incorrect assumption it will direct the air to an opposite end of a room/house like a hallway; in which case the more direct path of airflow would be superior to the wide cone like dispersion. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. Who knows. Either way, I'm stuck with the fan and it doesn't require a draw off my house to run so might as well enjoy it.

bwells, that fan may say it is rated at 175 com, but there is no way it is moving that unless possibly your stove is just shy of a meltdown overburn. Remember I said, I think it is a great fun stove top thingie. It makes me happy. It turns for free, using magic!

I like your stove too. It looks good in the opening. I was given a couple pallets of sawdust logs a couple years back, they burn great, long and produce a lot of heat (and ash). Just do not let them get wat or damp. They come apart into a sawdust mess (read that as if your woodshed leaks, do not put them there, I tested it, bad idea).

they're all shrink wrapped into 2x5 packs (10 in a bundle) so i just keep them inside :) I purchased a ton (literally 2k lbs) so it was about 100 packs of 10 two lbs bricks on a pallet. Should last me at least til sometime in January, if not longer. depends on how rough it gets outside. I don't have a very large house at all. just a small 3 bed, 1 bath rancher.

I have two of the Eco-Fans on top of my stove in the fireplace. Last year was the first season with them and I am really pleased with how they pull heat out into the room. The motor on one was wonky and they sent one fast, no questions asked.

I wish they would haul some of the Liberty Bricks 90 miles up I-95. I would burn a lot of them.

I have two of the Eco-Fans on top of my stove in the fireplace. Last year was the first season with them and I am really pleased with how they pull heat out into the room. The motor on one was wonky and they sent one fast, no questions asked.

I wish they would haul some of the Liberty Bricks 90 miles up I-95. I would burn a lot of them.
Psh, bring a truck on down and get em! lol

I used an eco-fan for about 13 yrs before the TEG pooped out. It kept a nice convective flow going in the old stove location with the Jotul. The new stove and new location is more central and thus less dependent on any fan for even heating, so the fan gathers dust now. One of these days I may replace the TEG and revive it. I did like to use it as a visual indicator of stove temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.