First burn to get stink off; fire goes out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Rolled my 13nc out too the driveway today to do a breakin burn. Put a 2ft piece of pipe on it and proceeded to burn a small fire. As soon as i shut the door the fire went out. I presume that is just a draft problem with the short pipe and nothing wrong with the stove. Yes the draft control was pulled all the way out.

More pipe will help that, try 4-6' with some 2 x 4 scraps.

Burned great with the door cracked open. I even got some secondary burn right before the fire would go out when closing the door which would tell me draft problem. Looked under it to make sure the draft valve was open too.

The door should be left slightly open until the fire is establish. You can close the door but don't latch it until the fire is estalblished.

This came directly from your owners manual:

Fully open the air control of the wood
stove, and close the door until it is just slightly open,
allowing for air to be introduced into the firebox. Never leave the door fully open, as sparks
from the kindling may occur, causing injury. As the fire begins to burn the kindling, some
additional kindling may be needed to sustain the fire. DO NOT add more paper after the
fire has started.

Status
Not open for further replies.