First Burn with Princess 32

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdr7

Oct 17, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone! I've been digging around to find an answer before posting - found a few threads where people discussed this but without consensus. So I apologize if I missed an obvious one.

We just got our Princess 32 installed today (super excited!). The manual just says to 'run it on low for a few hours' to minimize the paint/oil smoke and smell.

The installer recommended doing 2-3 lower-temp burns. On the forum, I'm seeing mixed opinions. Can anyone weigh in on the best method to break it in? I'm a little freaked out since finding a BK Facebook group where a few people had chimney fires their first time, or overheated it.

Thanks in advance!

What I gleaned was all that you are doing is curing the paint. The manual just says to burn a low fire for a few hours. I did that a few times before doing a full fire. A clean chimney shouldn't ever have a fire.

That's what I got from it as well, thanks! I was just confused because it seemed like some people went a hotter burn right away, while others did a few lower burns to play it safe. I wasn't sure if one way was "right".

I did a kindling only fire first. Then let it cool down. Then three 2" splits. Cool down. Then four 6" splits, medium setting, cool down. Then a full fire.

Every time you get to a higher temperature, it may stink. So especially that last fire, make sure you let her rip.

Open windows, close doors to bedrooms. If it stinks a lot, Have a box fan in one window to blow air out .
The smoke alarm may go off.

But once this is all done, the only thing you need to do is read the manual, do as it says to get to know the stove. And (!!!) have dry wood. As in stacked 2-3 years split and covered.

Welcome to the club.

Reactions: jdr7 and Nealm66
@stoveliker Thanks so much! This is helpful! Out of curiosity, is there any reason you did a few break in fires? Just wondering if I missed something . The manual only said to let the first one burn low to avoid lots of curing smell, but no staged fires to break it in.

I did my first one this morning (still going). Followed the instructions in the manual, and just set it to low. I only filled the firebox to half, and was going to let it burn out, then go medium or high heat next time.

Last edited:
Just being (too) careful. Seeing how it behaves before having confidence in the stove. Small steps rather than large ones.

Nature of the beast (me).

Hi, Congratulations on your new stove!
I used a graduated burning method to bake/ break in my woodstove because it was suggested here in the forums, and I was a person who wanted to be able to control the fire . If there had been issues developing( cracks broken welds, lots of smoke etc)
I could have ended the burn easily.

Reactions: jdr7
Hi, Congratulations on your new stove!
I used a graduated burning method to bake/ break in my woodstove because it was suggested here in the forums, and I was a person who wanted to be able to control the fire . If there had been issues developing( cracks broken welds, lots of smoke etc)
I could have ended the burn easily.
Thanks! What's a "graduated method"? Never heard of it, and would be really keen to learn. I think I'm going to take a middle-of-the-road approach.

Burn 1: Low (almost all the way low on the thermostat), for 4-6hrs (although it's going a bit longer, since I filled the firebox 1/2 way)
Burn 2: Medium (middle of the thermostat), for 2-4 hrs (I'll just burn a few 2-3" splits)
Burn 3: High, for 4 hrs, to finish burning off remaining paint/glue

It's strange because the manual doesn't recommend any of that - but I'd rather be cautious. I know some people do it maybe a bit slower, but I feel good about this. The first fire is going great.

Thanks! What's a "graduated method"? Never heard of it, and would be really keen to learn. I think I'm going to take a middle-of-the-road approach.

Burn 1: Low (almost all the way low on the thermostat), for 4-6hrs (although it's going a bit longer, since I filled the firebox 1/2 way)
Burn 2: Medium (middle of the thermostat), for 2-4 hrs (I'll just burn a few 2-3" splits)
Burn 3: High, for 4 hrs, to finish burning off remaining paint/glue

It's strange because the manual doesn't recommend any of that - but I'd rather be cautious. I know some people do it maybe a bit slower, but I feel good about this. The first fire is going great.
You got It!

Don’t think it had one. But you’re working towards the “Graduation “ to really getting a nice friendly no smell fire! Gaining confidence in your skills and in the stove too! Enjoy your new addiction haha
Haha, addiction is accurate. One last question if you don't mind:

I put in too much wood for my first, "low burn" ( = kindling, 2 small pieces, and 3 bigger pieces), and it's been going nicely for 6+ hrs now. There is still probably 4 hrs of burn on those few pieces. Rather than wait for it to die and cool, do you think it's OK to go to medium heat from here, for the remaining 2-3 hrs? Seems logical, since I did 6hrs on low, and would still be gradually working to medium, but wasn't sure if there was a specific reason it should die completely, go cold, then be rebuilt to medium.

Sorry for all the questions, I think this is my last - thanks!

Yes perfectly fine. (And welcome to underestimating the burn time of the amount of fuel loaded when burning on low).

Haha, addiction is accurate. One last question if you don't mind:

I put in too much wood for my first, "low burn" ( = kindling, 2 small pieces, and 3 bigger pieces), and it's been going nicely for 6+ hrs now. There is still probably 4 hrs of burn on those few pieces. Rather than wait for it to die and cool, do you think it's OK to go to medium heat from here, for the remaining 2-3 hrs? Seems logical, since I did 6hrs on low, and would still be gradually working to medium, but wasn't sure if there was a specific reason it should die completely, go cold, then be rebuilt to medium.

Sorry for all the questions, I think this is my last - thanks!
I’m not telling you what to do. But I can tell you what I did with my woodstove after reading the forum . Most of the comments that I read seemed to indicate ,at least to me ,that the cooling as well as the heating of a new stove are parts of the cycle that you’re trying to break the stove into.
The stove material (stone, cast, steel) will expand and contract in each phase of the heat/cool cycle. If perfection wasn’t achieved with the manufacturing it’s these swings in temperature that would show a problem to you. Important if you had to approach your dealer with warranty issues . Plus it gives you a chance to listen to your stove, the sounds of what is normal and what is not.
I hope you find your answer in my thoughts. Good luck and enjoy !

I’m not telling you what to do. But I can tell you what I did with my woodstove after reading the forum . Most of the comments that I read seemed to indicate ,at least to me ,that the cooling as well as the heating of a new stove are parts of the cycle that you’re trying to break the stove into.
The stove material (stone, cast, steel) will expand and contract in each phase of the heat/cool cycle. If perfection wasn’t achieved with the manufacturing it’s these swings in temperature that would show a problem to you. Important if you had to approach your dealer with warranty issues . Plus it gives you a chance to listen to your stove, the sounds of what is normal and what is not.
I hope you find your answer in my thoughts. Good luck and enjoy !
Thank you!

Reactions: 1kzwoman