first burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Already lit a burn of just kindling. been lower 40s here in the mountains of NC. Didnt really need to coulda just turned up the monitor or furnace but it s not as much fun or relaxing

Whats the monitor? Is that the yule log on TV?

Oil stove similar to a laser

Hold on, we'll be sending some colder weather your way very soon.

I have started my B/I fires using apple. I hate to admit it but I go outside to smell the wood burning. The wife got a wif of the apple in the house and made a sound something like "mmmmmmmmmm!" ;-)

runandjump said:
I have started my B/I fires using apple. I hate to admit it but I go outside to smell the wood burning. The wife got a wif of the apple in the house and made a sound something like "mmmmmmmmmm!" ;-)

I do that with Hickory, second favorite is cherry.

WoodButcher

Backwoods Savage said:
Hold on, we'll be sending some colder weather your way very soon.

I think its already here....low 40's to high 30's tonight, according to the weather man. My liner kit should be here tomorrow and go in this weekend if the rain holds off. Im hoping for my first fire ever this weekend. I cant wait!

Just fired the Classic up for the first time this year - she's cruising along at 400 right now - house is a bit warm at 75 - but it's 44 with on and off drizzle outside right now. Perfect for a small fire to check things out and make sure all is well before November comes and she's going 24/7. Ahhhh

we're all "chomping at thebit" so to speak , though im an outdoorsy type and enjoy my golf game , im getting antsy as well, installing one of our newest pellet stoves in place of my venerable 25-pdvc this weekend so im hoping to hold off til then , but i'll have no trepidation tolighting off the old girl one more time before retiring her to my shop for heat out there.

Well, I told myself...self no fires before Oct 1st. Self broke down under pressure from "the better half" & made a nice fire around 4pm. At 9pm I saw "the better half" opening a window :lol:

Diabel said:
Well, I told myself...self no fires before Oct 1st. Self broke down under pressure from "the better half" & made a nice fire around 4pm. At 9pm I saw "the better half" opening a window :lol:

THAT"S RIGHT!!!! ;-P

I think its already here....low 40’s to high 30’s tonight, according to the weather man. My liner kit should be here tomorrow and go in this weekend if the rain holds off. Im hoping for my first fire ever this weekend. I cant wait!

My liner came in today, its supposed to rain saturday so I may try to take a half day this week and get it going. Im dying to get my first burn under my belt.

We too had our first fire tonight.
Currently 38 with a low of 29 tonight.
Its calling for snow and a low tomorrow night of 22.
Here is where all the hard work this summer pays off.
Brad

bfunk13 said:
Brad

Hey brad how about some pic. for this NYC boy. I miss the mountains!

bfunk13 said:
Brad

Good to see that you are still around Brad. A few more people are now hooked up with the BK around here. Our stocks should be going up soon. :lol:
N of 60

I too started my first fire this am, came off the night shift and it was 60 in the living room - fired up teh jotul and it is up 1 deg in about 30 mins. i've missed the fire in the stove.

Taking the slight chill off this morning with a small but pleasant pine fire in the Endeavor. Yes, pine. But, then again, hairy palms and poor eyesight never scared me. :lol:

I went out last night to put the garbage out at the street and smelled someone else burning so I came in and fired the insert up for a small break in fire. I just finished replacing the entire brick set, and kaowool pad, good cleaning of the chimney and entire stove. It was ready and so was my 9 year old son. I put one load in and the stove top went just above 525 degrees then I let it cool down which took hours and warmed the whole house. All of the family loved to have the stove going again.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 154
Had our first last evening as well. Popped in some Neil Young unplugged and popped open some homemade wine.. might have to do the same tonight.

Hurricane said:
I went out last night to put the garbage out at the street and smelled someone else burning so I came in and fired the insert up for a small break in fire. I just finished replacing the entire brick set, and kaowool pad, good cleaning of the chimney and entire stove. It was ready and so was my 9 year old son. I put one load in and the stove top went just above 525 degrees then I let it cool down which took hours and warmed the whole house. All of the family loved to have the stove going again.
Looks nice. I just finished some cultured stone and still need to do the mantel, but it came out great. I'll try to post pics this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.