First Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
Just cleaned the six inch ss chimney for the first time this morning. Last year was first year burning; burned two cords of seasoned wood last year and watched closely for clean burns (got pretty good at it after a month or so last year). Anyway, bottom-up cleaning, due to the roof pitch and height of chimney, resulted in about four ounces (2.25 cups) of soot/creosote. Majority was very fine, with a few flakes/chunks mixed in. Based on previous readings I'm thinking this was acceptable. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

You have to like that bottom up cleaning as it surely beats climbing.

We too have a 6" SS chimney and I suspect I'll be looking at it soon because the heating season is about to begin. The night time temperatures are getting down there pretty good now and the daytime temps haven't been all that high either.

We put that chimney up 2 years ago and it hasn't been cleaned yet. Gotta love these new stoves and you can't beat good seasoned wood for burning either. It means less work all the way around and more heat out of the wood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.