First evening/night with NC 13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason721

Nov 4, 2017
southern indiana
In a rush to install my new stove yesterday before the cold temps in my area moved in I wanted to get my new stove hook up. After work I high tailed it home. I sat the stove outside and fired it up...burn the paint in. While it was oustside cooking I unhooked the s244 and got it outside. Meanwhile the NC 13 was outside still burning. I'm not sure how long it was out there but it burnt a medium size load I'm guessing. The stove still a bit warm I grabbed my welding gloves and got it in the house and hooked up. My little s244 in the temps we are having now just can't keep up. The NC 13 had no problems last night. I'm pretty impressed with it. Kept the house nice and toasty

Did you get a good overnight burn?

Shouldn't you have multiple fires slowly going a little hotter each time to condition the stove properly before cranking it up?

Did you get a good overnight burn?

Overnight one one load...no!
Once I got it in the house and ready I fired it up at 4pm.reload 7pm. Again at 9:30 ish. Woke up at 2am to a bed of coals and it fired right up... I gut up that early every nihht because nature called. Old guy thing I guess. and 5am when I got up for work. Had a good bed of coals to get going again. Wife makes sure it's good before she leaves at 7am. Hoping there is coals for an easy start up when I get home.
I probably could have got a bit longer burn but I wasn't loading it full or burning hard. I will wind it up tonight though.

Shouldn't you have multiple fires slowly going a little hotter each time to condition the stove properly before cranking it up?

I kinda did...I never really filled it full and tended to it off and on all evening and once in the early morning..2am
I am going to fill it full and wind it up this evening though

Take some pictures for future reference for what you consider

"Half load" pic
"Wind it up" pic

Reactions: SpaceBus
Take some pictures for future reference for what you consider

"Half load" pic
"Wind it up" pic

I will have to do that....
Considering I never really got the stove top much over 400* (IR gun) on any burn exept this morning 550*
Loaded with 3 small splits of good seasoned walnut I would definitely call it under half a full load. My wood was cut 14" and split pretty small to fit in my old stove that I could easily peak 600+ if I wanted.

Are you supposed to burn several increasingly hotter fires to burn a stove in?
What is the consequence of a big hot fire the first time?