First fire of the year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
I've been holding out, but went to a friends house last night to watch the ND then Penn State games and he has his fireplace going. One of those yuppie types, just for looks, burns a cord in 2 yrs... But the smell was intoxicating, and I had no choice when I got up this morning but to start the ol' Manny. Gave it a thorough cleaning last weekend but I was hoping to hold out until more towards the end of the month. I threw my first seasoned white pine split in also, so exciting things happening here this morning! Anybody else burning yet?

image.jpg Yup raw and raining here yesterday morning so cleaned the stove and the chimney thinking it would be ready for first fire at the end of the month.

As the day got more raw and the temps cooled I could not resist starting a nice warm first fire. So much for the end of the month :)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Yes, same here. Rainy and dreary all day yesterday, this ol house has a chill that needed to be knocked off. The kids have their electric heaters going in their bedrooms, and it is 40* here this morning. Time to try out the pine and burn some shoulder wood ;)

That's what I use to start all my fires eastern white pine. It seasons in one summer and is very plentiful in our woods. This time of year I may drop in a split or two of oak for a little longer burn at night but mostly pine.

Been burning about 2 weeks now off and on. I know it was a little early here but since the wife had cemo and rad for cancer she gets cold easyer now days.

Oh yeah, cold and drizzly here today. Just a slow roller going, enough to keep the top "magic" flames dancing. Supposed to get close to freezing tonight so I'll ramp it up later. Not the first burn though, probably about the sixth.
That bone dry aspen is working wonders for this time of the season.

Same here, last night and this morning. Just some 2 x 4 scraps and some old junky splits but enough to get the secondaries going and warm the living room. Felt good!

Status
Not open for further replies.