First fire on VC Montpelier II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

agonyzhou

Nov 29, 2019
Maryland
After a month of wait time, I just got my new VC Montpelier II installed today. I am a complete newbie for burning wood, so I pretty much shopped blindly for this stove, bought the first one looks acceptable to me and fits my fireplace. Later on I read the manual and found this fantastic forum, I learned that this is a single burn rate stove. I almost wanted to cancel the deal but on the second thought a dumbed down stove may just be what I need. I don't see many people on this forum with this stove so I'll share whatever little I have from the first day of burning.

The installers that came were a little shady; I smelled marijuana on them. They are friendly enough though and climbed my 30 foot tall chimney with no complain. I asked them about the block off plate (read it here) but they didn't have the equipment to make one and don't think it is necessary. I paid some attention to the gasket of the door and the baffle blanket, they all looked in good order. The installation took about 3 hours and I lit the first fire right after they left.

The Montpelier II is a flush fireplace insert. Being a flush model, the firebox is pretty wide but kinda shallow. It measures 20'' wide at the back and 23'' at the front, but only 11'' 1/2 deep. So loading it N/S is limited but you can load either E/W or diagonally. More importantly, there is no user air control. What it has is one button, which triggers a timer that opens a separate air intake for a period of time, like 20 something minutes. So you load wood, light them, press the button to give them more air, then close the door. There is nothing else you need to do, or can do for that matter. There is also no access point to stove top or flute, to measure the temperature. The best I can do is to point my IR gun into the air outlet, which seem to be the hottest point I can find on the stove.

Being a newbie, I have sub-par wood. What I have is 4.5 month CSS'ed standing dead pine and they will do. For the first fire, I want to start easy; so I build a small fire with one split and several smaller pieces. They burned, but does not give much heat; the snapdisk controlled blower did not even trigger. The fire is small; but otherwise look ok; little smoke and clean glass. 1.5 hours later they burned down to ambers I decided to go bigger this time. So I put in 3 medium sized log on top of the coal. There was not much coal so the woods did not catch and generated a lot of smoke. I have to open the door, poke them and sprinkle some kindling on top. They caught on, and I have a maybe a medium size fire, which after a long while did trigger the blower. I set the blower on low, air is hot but still tolerable, like 150F. If I set the blower on high, the air cool down to 100F after a while. The heat is not great; I can keep the this room warm, but the far side of the room is only 68F, so it is doing little for other area of the house. I guess I need to burn harder still to warm the house. That will be the exercise tomorrow then.

Over all, I am pleased. I don't think I can do an overnight burn given what fuel I have. It gives heat, I see not much smoke coming out of my chimney, and the view of the fire is fantastic. I don't need to worry about precise air control manuver because there is none needed. Without user control there could be some possibility of overfire; but my wood this year is simply not good enough to cause that. If I had better wood, maybe I can use some wet towel to stuff on the air intake hole when overfire really happen.

I asked them about the block off plate (read it here) but they didn't have the equipment to make one and don't think it is necessary.
That's a common response. You need to request this when ordering the installation so that the installer is equipped and ready to do the work. If this is an exterior chimney it will make a difference.

My chimney is in between the living room and the unheated garage, so I guess that's a half exterior one? I can think of doing it in spring time; maybe order it together with my first chimney sweep. Thanks my friend.

That sounds reasonable. In the meantime, enjoy the warmth.

My friend has that stove and heats his two story colonial with it, once you have a good wood supply you'll be set, start on your wood supply soon.

My friend has that stove and heats his two story colonial with it, once you have a good wood supply you'll be set, start on your wood supply soon.

Yeah. A cord of wood looks huge when I split and stacked them but don't last very long in the winter. Wood is cheap but doesn't come easily. Hopefully my 12 year old son can be of some help soon.

Yeah. A cord of wood looks huge when I split and stacked them but don't last very long in the winter. Wood is cheap but doesn't come easily. Hopefully my 12 year old son can be of some help soon.

Wouldnt hold your breath. lol

Reactions: Woody Stover
My 13 yr old cuts lots of wood ---- -when he is playing Fortnite. Real wood........ nah.

So there is no control over the stove at all? Wow
Flue damper time. It might look a bit hacky, but I guess you'd have to drill a hole in the surround and wire a rod to the damper handle..
The installers that came were a little shady; I smelled marijuana on them.
Which was it...webby, or bholler? ;) ;lol

Reactions: weatherguy
Flue damper time. It might look a bit hacky, but I guess you'd have to drill a hole in the surround and wire a rod to the damper handle..

That is beyond my skill level. I once decided to take the face plate off to take a look inside (stove is cold). Took me 15+ mins to put it back; that sucker is heavy and the hooks to hang it are very hard to align blindly.

I just had my VC Montpelier II installed last week!! What temp reading are you getting with your IR gun on the refractory brick?
I am having issues getting the room hot as well. I have an internal chimney and they didn’t install a block off plate. I have a 30ft chimney as well.

If I point at the glass through the flame, a good burn should give me 700F+ at the peak. I've seen 1000F which make me a little uncomfortable but the stove seems fine afterwards. To have consistent reading though, I wouldn't recommend to point to the glass. I just use the top right corner of the face of the stove, which has a much narrow range of temperature, from room temp to about water boiling point (~210F). I have an temp probe tape at the point.

The stove should be able to warm up at least one room. My living room is not big; however it opens to 3 different room at 3 different directions. I can make the room toasty with a good burn. Some heat will spill to other part of the house and reduce the burden of the furnace.

IR readings through the glass will not be accurate. Reading off the face of the insert like you are doing is much better.

Thanks! So I decided to load it up with 4 good size splits and let it run. I agree the IR reading through the glass isn’t accurate however I found pointing the IR at the refractory brick through the glass that if it read about 700 degrees I was putting out some heat....! I kept my downstairs (1500 sq feet) at 66 from 2:00PM to about 2:00 AM and the room where the stove is located was about 74 with 3 reloads. I have a bit of a gap between my fireplace and the surround so I can get my IR gun into the space and check my flue and at those peak outputs it was running around 600. The stove seemed to be running perfectly quiet other than the fan so I wasn’t too concerned with over firing the unit. Having a single burn stove does scare me a bit but running the fan does seem to cool the unit down quite a bit and you can certainly control the heat by the size of the splits and moisture content. I have some pretty dry ash and maple that I have been tossing in with some “somewhat” seasoned birch and it’s burning beautifully. The unit does eat up wood (but far less than my fireplace did!) as I am only getting two and half to three hours of good heat output once it’s loaded and catches. Cheers!!!