First Month's Experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timalabim

Jul 11, 2008
eastern ma
My stove was installed on Nov 22, and I installed my LUX programmable thermostat about a week later. (I especially like the "energy usage" feature which lets me see how much time the tstat was calling for heat, today and prior day)

I've gone through about 25 bags of Southernglo pellets. We did have 2 days when it was warm enough to shut down the stove during the day.

I'm pretty much heating the 1st and 2nd floors of about 1800 sq ft living space.

As I have stated in other posts, my thermostat is right under the therm for the furnace and runs the same program of warm/cool cycles, giving the stove 15 min head start for a warming cycle and 2 degree heat setting advantage. The only time the Furnace kicks on is in the morning warm up from 62 - 68 (64 to 70 on the stove). The furnace will kick in for about 1/2 hour to help bring the temp up.

I have a small door corner fan pushing warm air from the living room where the stove is installed into the hallway leading to the stairs up. A Box fan between the two bedroom doors at the far end of the hall upstairs pushing cold air back toward the stairway, and a small "tornado" type fan at the bottom of the door to the living room pushing cold air back in toward the stove.

The living room has double wide doorways leading to the main hall/stairwell and on the other side leading to the DR/Kitchen.
From the Kitchen you loop around back through a den and to the main hall, so there is a path all around the downstairs

I do run the furnace for the basement family room in the evening and for hot water. I haven't been able to figure out the difference in oil usage yet as my last delivery overlapped a couple of weeks in November before the stove was installed.

I have learned an incredible amount from this site and am very much enjoying the experience.
From this site I have learned how to fix a couple of setup issues that my installer didn't quite do right, adjust my flame, run at low without the fire going out, and do a thorough cleaning.

Thanks to the contributors to this site and answers to my questions. I have found this site very friendly. Much less likely to have someone post a terse "do a search" response here than I have seen in many other forums. Much more likely to see a "here is a link to a similar thread". A way better response I think.

Merry Christmas to all, and hopefully a better economy in the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.