First Overnight Burn….

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

longislandcamper

Nov 20, 2021
Long Island
Finally got my medium flush mount installed on Tuesday and lit her up around 2:30pm. I put the last log on about 7pm and let her die out.

My household heat only turned on once between noon and midnight and that was about 3:30-4:00 so obviously she wasn’t really going yet. Outdoor temps were around 30 and sunny.

The day before we had almost the same exact weather and the heat turned on SIX times between noon and midnight. This was the day before installation.

Wednesday was a warmer day with temps about 45 and the house heat went on 4 times between noon and midnight with bonfire going.

Yesterday was a much warmer day with temps in the mid to upper 50’s. Heat turned on 2 times between noon and midnight.

Now on the today. Temps were about 55 when going to work this morning and about 35 when I got a fire going about 2:30pm and temps have been dropping. I’m happy to report that not only has the heat not turned on since noon (it’s 11pm now), but the temperature in the house has actually gone up 2-3 degrees. I’m amazed by that because the thermostat is not really in an area that’s easily affected by the heat given off from the fireplace.

Currently doing the first overnight burn now and I’m really curious to see if I’ll be able to start her up easily in the morning.

I usually wake up at 2:30am to pee but this morning I woke about 5am and immediately went to check on things after my first overnight burn.

The blower was still on and there were some glowing embers. I tossed in some paper and some kindling and pretty soon had it lit up again and tossed in more wood. At this point I checked the home thermostat and the heat was actually running but was about to turn off since the temp was almost at the normal temp we run at. Outdoor temps were probably about 20 at the time. Left for work about 7:20 but loaded her up again before I left.

I kept monitoring our home thermostat while at work and it was hovering about 3-4 degrees warmer then we normally keep the house at. Outdoor temps were about 35.

Got home about 12:30 to a few glowing embers. Tossed in some more kindling and got her fired up again and still going strong. Right now it’s about 30 hours since I got her running and the only time our heat was on was 5am this morning after a 6+ hour burn.

I’m very happy with the results so far and it’s far exceeded my expectations. I do have to make some smaller logs in the future though because sometimes I can only get one or two pieces in. When I split my wood over a year ago I was only planning on using it for camping fires and the occasional fire in my old fireplace so length wasn’t so much of an issue.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Got any pics?

17EE37A1-65B5-41CA-B7F7-98D2D9D2A244.jpeg

Reactions: JonH and dafattkidd
Its satisfying to get into a cycle of long burns and have the stove do all the heating work. Congrats and enjoy.

In my book its a win if you only have to run you central heat 25% of the time and let free wood supply do 75%+ the work, it all adds up.

Started the fire at 2:30pm Friday and it’s currently Sunday morning. Fireplace has been running ever since. Here’s a breakdown of how many hours per day our household heat has run. Keep in mind that Tuesday afternoon and evening we had a fire going with outdoor temps about 35 . Wednesday, Thursday and Friday until about noon outdoor temps were between 45-55 even at night. By noon Friday the temps dropped to about 35 again and about 20 at night so that means the fireplace has been running at the same time our temps have been the coldest this week.

3221D907-F0C5-4EE0-8F20-064EC96224D0.png

I dont run my heat at all. The thermostat is set at 63. The house never dips below 65. It only gets to 65 if i let the stove go cold due to a clean out. If your liking this, just turn the thermostat back and let the wood do all the work.

Reactions: snobuilder
In my book its a win if you only have to run you central heat 25% of the time and let free wood supply do 75%+ the work, it all adds up.
I wish I could get free wood.by the time I insure my truck,chainsaw gas and wood cutting permit it costs me around 300 to cut 6 cords of wood.plus my labor but I enjoy it and being retired have lots of time.if I had to heat with electric it would be 400 a month.

Last edited:
I dont run my heat at all. The thermostat is set at 63. The house never dips below 65. It only gets to 65 if i let the stove go cold due to a clean out. If your liking this, just turn the thermostat back and let the wood do all the work.
As appealing as that sounds, I’ve got a 20 month old and a wife who’s due with a baby girl in May. Don’t want to get down that low right now. Plus, when I split my wood a did larger sizes since I wasn’t concerned with their size. As a result, I can’t quite load it up as much as I want right now until I get some smaller pieces. :)

Reactions: snobuilder
My exact method. Rarely need the HVAC even with below 0F temps. The wind is the devil though....LOL

As appealing as that sounds, I’ve got a 20 month old and a wife who’s due with a baby girl in May. Don’t want to get down that low right now. Plus, when I split my wood a did larger sizes since I wasn’t concerned with their size. As a result, I can’t quite load it up as much as I want right now until I get some smaller pieces. :)
Congrats on your new family!
Just the wife and I so I'm lucky we both like it cool at night if it gets down to those temps.
A splitting maul would let you halve those big splits.

As you build your wood supply (which is mucho impotante!!!), you'll find that pretty much the need for the furnace/boiler will be minimal.

Congrats on the growing family :)

Not sure where you are exactly, but I might be able to help with wood suppliers to help build your stash quickly. PM me for their info, if you like.

Welcome to the forums !

An occasional run of the boiler or furnace is fine, especially during cold weather if there is a basement. Pipe freezes can be much more expensive than burning a gallon of fuel now and then.

As you build your wood supply (which is mucho impotante!!!), you'll find that pretty much the need for the furnace/boiler will be minimal.

Congrats on the growing family :)

Not sure where you are exactly, but I might be able to help with wood suppliers to help build your stash quickly. PM me for their info, if you like.

Welcome to the forums !
Thanks, we’re in Coram.

We had two large trees taken down over two years ago so that’s what’s burning now. Borrowed a friends splitter last year but only got about 1/3 of it done. A friend is a tree trimmer and just dumped a giant dump trailer off in December. I ordered a 35 ton splitter that should have been here two months ago but should be here this week. :)

Reactions: Dix and snobuilder
Thanks, we’re in Coram.

We had two large trees taken down over two years ago so that’s what’s burning now. Borrowed a friends splitter last year but only got about 1/3 of it done. A friend is a tree trimmer and just dumped a giant dump trailer off in December. I ordered a 35 ton splitter that should have been here two months ago but should be here this week. :)

Coram — before my kids were born I went to High Velocity to play paintball like twice a month. Good times.

Thanks, we’re in Coram.

If you are burning stuff that has been drying while split for one year only, do you know its moisture content?

If you are burning stuff that has been drying while split for one year only, do you know its moisture content?
Yes. I bought a moisture meter last year because I was having a hard time burning stuff last year. Some pieces were above 20 but some of the smaller pieces were below 20.

Everything I’ve tested in the past week has been in the mid teens. I haven’t checked every piece I’ve taken, but every piece I’ve tested has been perfectly fine. :)

Thanks, we’re in Coram.

Sweet. If you get stuck, I've got 2 places, one in Ridge (waves hand, it's where I am), and another in Moriches.

Sweet. If you get stuck, I've got 2 places, one in Ridge (waves hand, it's where I am), and another in Moriches.
Is the one in Moriches Oak Mountain Firewood? I was looking at their site and I’m considering buying a cord of kiln dried from them for next season.

Is the one in Moriches Oak Mountain Firewood? I was looking at their site and I’m considering buying a cord of kiln dried from them for next season.

No, Barnes Farm. They are selling full cords, fresh/semi fresh split for $150 (+ a small delivery fee, maybe. Depends on where you are.)

Personally, I was very happy with the delivery last April. Semi Seasoned, and burning it now. No issues, aside from the occasional sizzler ;)

They are on FB.

No, Barnes Farm. They are selling full cords, fresh/semi fresh split for $150 (+ a small delivery fee, maybe. Depends on where you are.)

Personally, I was very happy with the delivery last April. Semi Seasoned, and burning it now. No issues, aside from the occasional sizzler ;)

They are on FB.
Thanks! I’m on the north shore in western Suffolk. I’ll check them out.

Your install looks really nice. Your wood is probably borderline and that will affect burn length and quality. Next year will be better. I always on this forum encourage new burners to gather wood BEFORE they purchase the wood stove/insert.

Do you have a block off plate and insulation surrounding the insert installed?

Gathering, cutting, splitting and stacking will almost never make an insert cheaper than just using a furnace (if you factor labor and time). Rather this is a lifestyle change as well as a cost savings. I figure my electric bill (heat pump) is about $100 p/mo cheaper and I use no back up propane ($1k p/yr savings). I might easily spend 40 hours driving to, cutting, loading, unloading, splitting and stacking wood (2.5 cords p/yr) to save $1,500. Not a real great return, but I love the exercise. So plan accordingly, especially with a new little one, either buy your cords soon for next year, or set aside time to scrounge and cut. Good luck.