First Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Delta-T said:
that's ICC pipe, you can rotate the jet cap to point at a 45* if you like. loosen the 2 screws in the diagonal seem, spin the jet, put screws back in. no need to buy a 45.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is ICC pipe? Are you saying I can rotate the jet/nozzle on my Selkirk DT? I haven't looked yet but I don't think that I can do that on mine.

Attachments

• 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 246
mepellet said:
Delta-T said:
that's ICC pipe, you can rotate the jet cap to point at a 45* if you like. loosen the 2 screws in the diagonal seem, spin the jet, put screws back in. no need to buy a 45.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is ICC pipe? Are you saying I can rotate the jet/nozzle on my Selkirk DT? I haven't looked yet but I don't think that I can do that on mine.

sorry, the pipe in the OP pic is ICC brand, and can be adjusted. I do not know if this can happen on selkirk dt, you may need to buy a 45 to do that, but I dont think you need to. i have seen many, many, many stoves vented horizontal with accelerator cap (like in your photo) with no ill effect whatsoever. no wories.

Well, yes... the installation will work. However, you would be hard pressed to find any information from Pellet Vent MFGs or Pellet Heater MFGs manual that would recommend this.

As far as I'm concerned this is cutting corners and somewhat shoddy.

This is a permanent installation and for $100 more worth of pipe your safety and good functioning of the appliance is well worth it.

FyreBug said:
Well, yes... the installation will work. However, you would be hard pressed to find any information from Pellet Vent MFGs or Pellet Heater MFGs manual that would recommend this.

As far as I'm concerned this is cutting corners and somewhat shoddy.

This is a permanent installation and for $100 more worth of pipe your safety and good functioning of the appliance is well worth it.

Is the entire cost of extending, vertical rise, and cap $100 more if you install yourself? I didn't take this route because they quoted me at $400 in parts alone for the vertical rise! I'd be interested in doing it myself it were cheap enough.

I had intended to follow DBCOOPER's setup in order to avoid the draft situation, at the very least a 45* angle piece for the end to fit on if the vertical rise parts were too expensive.

You could always try it as is and see how it treats you. You could also do a test... While the unit is going on full blast, pull the plug! Now see if you have any smoke ingress in the house. If yes, imagine a power outage at 2 am while gramma and the baby are sleeping. Even if its not enough to kill anyone, your wife will not be pleased with the smoke smell in the furniture & curtain.

Find out what brand of pipe you have. Buy a 4ft pipe lenght with the associated hardware. Shop around on the web to see where you can get the best price.

Here is a place to start. http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Chimney-Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.