First post, first season burning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wainwright63

Jul 19, 2015
Concord, NC
Hello,
I am a new member to the forum, but I've been reading the threads on this site for the past few months trying to learn all i could. I am new to wood stoves and heating with wood in general. I recently (4 months ago) bought a new house. Installed in the fireplace was a Englander 24-jc. I have been burning for the past week and just now discovered how the Cat works. Up until tonight I've just been burning with the bypass open ( thinking it was just a damper door). My first question is, is it harmful to my cat to burn this way? Not sure why i would ever need to burn in such a way again, just more curious. Secondly, what can/should i expect for burn time on a full load at low to medium air intake? I am burning 1 year seasoned oak(mixing) And lastly, i know it's not ideal but can i get away with burning less than ideally seasoned wood with the cat ignited? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

I don't think any harm was done, but it is generally discouraged. All stoves burn much better with dry wood. Damp wood may damage the cat and will cause excess creosote accumulation. Bring it indoors a week ahead of time if possible and mix it with dry wood. Have you contacted Englander support for the manual?

How damp is the wood? When was it cut split and stacked? What species wood?

PS: Welcome to hearth.com!

Reactions: Wainwright63
I downloaded a copy online. That's how i discovered the stove had a cat, and how to operate it correctly. The cat seems to be working correctly judging by smoke output, or lack there of from chimney. There is a big difference in smoke output and thickness between running the stove in bypass mode and then closing the bypass. But I've never seen the cat glow. Does it have to glow? Also, should i be seeing flames in the low burns? I get a few small lazy flames and glowing orangey coals and the box stays relatively clear of heavy smoke. With the air control set to ½ to ¾ closed and a full box of wood loaded in around 11 pm, i wake at 5 for work and load it up again before leaving. I still have maybe 3 big splits that are still burning. Seems like its working great to me, but i dont know much about them.

Last edited:
I have 1.5 yr seasoned oak (left from previous owner) and im mixing in white oak that was css 5-6 months ago but split pretty small 3"-4" splits 16" long. I started selling wood this year as well (or better stated, preparing to sell) so ive already css a large amount of white and red oak, and honey locust for next year. Its been css for 5-6 months also.

White oak was a standing dead tree when cut, and i only put up the smaller diameter for use next year.

Cats don't always glow, but usually do somewhat with the air open a bit or when first closing the bypass. Instrumentation helps here. A thermometer for the cat (if it has a place for a cat probe) and the stove help. From the sounds of things the stove seems to be burning ok.

It would be good to pick up a moisture meter if you don't already have one. They are discussed in the Gear forum here. Standing dead can be dry or damp. Green oak takes 2 years to season.

Yes, moisture meter is on my list. I will have to look and see if theres a place for a cat probe. If not where should i measure my temp? I know i need to hit 1000° for ignition and maintain 500° or there abouts. Can i get an accurate reading off the outlet pipe? And yes, the stove seems to be doing ok, heats the 1800 sqr ft ranch and maintains 68-69° most of the time with nights latley in the 30° range and days topping out at 55° Overall im pleased, but im the kindda guy i want to know everything about it and how to get optimum results. The insert is not our only source of heat but i would like for it to be the primary source. I think the savings would be noticeable over running the heat pump all winter. Especially since i have an unlimited supply of wood (hooked up with a local tree service).

I thought it was about 5-600F for cat ignition but could be mistaken. Is 1000F what the manual says? That seems high. Call Englander tech support about the location for the cat probe. My cat knowledge is generic. I know nothing about this stove and would be just guessing.

I thought it was about 5-600F for cat ignition but could be mistaken. Is 1000F what the manual says? That seems high. Call Englander tech support about the location for the cat probe. My cat knowledge is generic. I know nothing about this stove and would be just guessing.
Manual recommends operating between 770-1400 but needs to be above 500° before accepting the smoke. And i found the part number in the manual for a Cat thermometer. If they have the part listed on the manual, I hope its a plug and play type deal.

Ok, so after reading several places that the Cat will glow. I decided to investigate a little. I know i should have looked at the CAT before burning the stove initially, but i didn't know it existed. I pulled the plate and took a look for myself. All in all i think the cat looked good. I brushed it off with a paint brush and looked for any flaking or decomposition... I didn't see any. The only reason i can see that would prevent me from seeing the Cat glow, is that i can't actually see it period. The cat sits flush with the top of the inside box that combined with the angle of the plate makes it impossible to see from any angle. Unless there plates supposed to glow... If that's the case, I've got something wrong.

Ok, so after reading several places that the Cat will glow. I decided to investigate a little. I know i should have looked at the CAT before burning the stove initially, but i didn't know it existed. I pulled the plate and took a look for myself. All in all i think the cat looked good. I brushed it off with a paint brush and looked for any flaking or decomposition... I didn't see any. The only reason i can see that would prevent me from seeing the Cat glow, is that i can't actually see it period. The cat sits flush with the top of the inside box that combined with the angle of the plate makes it impossible to see from any angle. Unless there plates supposed to glow... If that's the case, I've got something wrong.
09419344a15ccc3addcd0b7f7c923b12.jpg

ff42003d62cb055fb881623fc3f050ac.jpg

f1c60a6cd75396609f965e9619434839.jpg

Cat does NOT have to be glowing for it to be working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.