First Score in Months

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

Around here in the warm months, it's hard to scrounge wood because of all the tree services going 24/7 it seems. Anyhow driving to work this AM, I noticed a tree had come down in the neighbors yard 1 block down my street. On my way home from work, I saw the owners and some other folks there attempting to tackle this tree. This is the neighbor that I've gotten the bulk of my wood from in Jan, Feb, March......

Long story short, I get home unhitch my work trailer, and walk down to ask if they need a hand. I'm 48 years old, but these folks are 60+, and the two home owners have health problems and only 2 lungs between them and their helpers weren't exactly "fit"!!! The home owners remembered me from earlier in the year, and they said "yeah, come on down."

20 minutes later, the old McCullock is ripping thru some box elder.........I know, not great wood, but free............I had 10 times the work done in 30 minutes than the older folks had done in probably hours!! Neither the home owners or their helpers wanted any of the wood............they said I could have it all!! I hauled back only about 1/4 of what I cut today. I have a bit more cutting to do, but I need to sharpen the chain, as I grounded it once or twice!!!!:oops:

I'll take some pix once I get all the wood back to my place. I'm guessing 1.5-2.0 cords once CSS!!! Once that's done, I should have about 6 cords of wood in my yard!! Not bad for only about 6 months of scrounging!!!

Nice! I'm dry on my scrounging lately too.
Around here in the warm months, it's hard to scrounge wood because of all the tree services going 24/7 it seems.
I would have thought that would increase your scrounging success. Anytime I see a tree service at work, I ask what they're cutting and can I take some. The answer is almost always: "Sugar maple, please do".

Eagerly awaiting your pics.

Around here, many of the services haul off and split/sell themselves..........or grind/chipper/shread everything no matter the size. I've asked several.............but I've never tried green persuasion though.

Reactions: Realstone
Around here, many of the services haul off and split/sell themselves..........or grind/chipper/shread everything no matter the size. I've asked several.............but I've never tried green persuasion though.
Interesting. If I may ask, what state is the "Parish of the Fonz" in?

Don't put down box elder so much. It burns well and is great for fall or spring burning. I've even burned it in mid winter (daytime). Remember, it is still in the maple family.

Good for you helping this family whether you needed the wood or not. Now your next project is to learn how to cut wood without touching the chain on the ground! Well, maybe you need practice sharpening?! ==c

Being a good neighbor pays off. Good job!
Had to be some serious hot, muggy weather to cut wood in.

How much wood do you burn a year ? .
6 cords should last you a couple years down there ;)
"Parish" usually means Louisiana ?

Actually guys I'm in northern Illinois..................."The Peoples Republic of Illinois" that is. The parish of St. Alphonso is reference to my favorite Frank Zappa tune and one of the churches I used to attend.

Bogy......it wasn't 100* like yesterday, it was only in the upper 80's but twice the humidity!! This'll be the first year burning in a woodstove. I tore out the POS ZC fireplace and recently completed my hearth. Got more work getting the chimney done etc.

dorkweed,nice thing helping out the neighbors, good deal for both.

zappa ==c

Actually guys I'm in northern Illinois..................."The Peoples Republic of Illinois" that is.

Bogy......it wasn't 100* like yesterday, it was only in the upper 80's but twice the humidity!! This'll be the first year burning in a woodstove. I tore out the POS ZC fireplace and recently completed my hearth. Got more work getting the chimney done etc.

Illinois: Well you may need more than 6 cords to get 2 years ahead, but you are close.
You're getting addicted with the firewood bug & haven't burned yet? Ha Ha. :)
Smart to get some seasoned wood "before", you are well ahead of where I was when I first started burning. ;)

Reactions: Realstone
Well I guess in Illinois you have some competition for scrounging. Scouring Craigslist, Kijiji for free firewood is always a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.