First scrounging trip-can someone ID it for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ansehnlich1 said:
Rockey said:
Hehehe Whewee, I sure had some of you going with all that stupid cherry talk back there. I knew it was silver maple all along. :)

Hey Rockey, you were'nt that far off, sheesh, anybody can tell by that pic that whatever kind of tree it was, it grew NEXT to a cherry tree :)

I though cherry too as soon as I looked at it, case ya wanted to know.

Thanks buddy, I don't feel as near as dumb no more. :)

PA. Woodsman said:
ccwhite said:
I still think it looks like a big honkin' wild cherry. That's most of what I cut around here. The wood looks to have the telltale red color and the texture of the bark looks right.

I looked at it again; I don't see the telltale red "ring" on the cut side of the wood that Cherry has in the second picture, but I see red tint on the cut side of the first picture. Perhaps he has some Cherry AND Silver Maple; Cherry would be red inside and Silver Maple mostly bland white. I wish that this guy would split it open so that we can get an answer here! LOL...

Wow-who knew I'd get such a response? I'll try to take the wedges to it this weekend-the wood grenade didn't do squat because its just too wet yet. There are actually two more rounds sitting at the guy's house that were too big for me to get by myself so I'll bring a little extra muscle along. I'll keep you posted!

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I'll eat your wood grenade if it isn't silver maple! :smirk:
And i will help you eat that grenade!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Wow-who knew I'd get such a response? I'll try to take the wedges to it this weekend-the wood grenade didn't do squat because its just too wet yet. There are actually two more rounds sitting at the guy's house that were too big for me to get by myself so I'll bring a little extra muscle along. I'll keep you posted![/quote]

Okay, the weekend has come and gone, so the answer to what this wood is is........????

C'mon, we have guys willing to eat splitting equipment here if they're wrong!!!!

I'll tell you, I've got some large "rounds" of silver maple I'm working on and it isn't the easiest splitting by any means. The tree tends to fork a lot near the base making splitting a PITA. I'll add some pics of my rounds that are the splittin image of those if the suns comes out Thurs.

Well, the verdict is indeed Silver Maple so don't start choking down that wood grenade just yet! I showed the rounds to a landscaper friend who's very knowledgeable and didn't tell him what other folks had suggested the wood might be...I tell ya, this place is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.