First splitter experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
My father rented a splitter for the weekend. It was the first time I used a splitter and these things are awesome!!! My brother had several very large trees cut in December. I split 2 cords by hand over the past couple months. My dad said I was being young and dumb and decided to get a splitter for the weekend. So, my brother, father, and I split the remaining wood today. We figured we split about 4-5 cords today. Very tired and sore and the beer is helping right now. I was amazed at the power of the splitter to go through larger rounds. Very cool. A good day!

I split wood for many years with a maul. Due to a herniated disc in my lower back I can't swing a maul for more than a half hour (sometimes not even a half hour). I used a splitter for the first time in my life in February. It was a rather crude, old, home brewed unit, that was still an absolute pleasure to operate! Since then I purchased the best splitter available. I look forward to using that machine.

Goog

Every man should have a power splitter. And now that you have had a taste you will soon be buying one. Trust me I know!

I have had my splitter since 1988. Works out to $21 a year + gas. I can't think of any better investment I have ever made. I swing a maul every once in a while to remind me why I bought it.

You have me beat BB. Ours so far works out around $40 per year but it will continue to go down too.

They say figures never lie but liars always figure. Amortized over the 7 years I've owned it, mine is $143 per year.

This is my second year with the one I built so I figure I'm somewhere around $300 per year and going down.

We've been using a home made splitter that my paternal grandfather put together about 20 years ago (or more). It's probably the equivalent of about a 22-ton splitter. We recently added a 4-way wedge to it. It looks rough, but it still splits like a dream! See below:
splitter.jpg

Dad recently purchased a new NorthStar 37-ton splitter. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I imagine it will chew through anything the ole 22-ton splitter has been handling over the years.

41js8CNASHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'll bet that thing works good for cracking walnut shells too! lol

Love the home made rig. It works, and its paid for - can't complain there!

J-Man said:
Love the home made rig. It works, and its paid for - can't complain there!

I cannot begin to imagine how much wood that thing has split over its lifetime. The mind reels.

Status
Not open for further replies.