First Stove Fire Outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saddle Mander

Sep 20, 2013
SW Michigan
I am having a new Englander NC13 installed next weekend.

I have heard a lot about how smoky and smelly the paint is during the first few fires.

Can I take the stove outside and burn a few small fires in it to cure the paint without any type of chimney?

Any insight is appreciated.

No problem, it will probably draft very poorly even with 6 ft of pipe.

Yup, this is totally fine to do, just get a 4 or 6 foot length of stove pipe to put in the collar so have something that might remotely resemble a draft.

If you have any new black pipe, put it on the stove for the burn in. Many times the pipe will smoke more than the paint on the stove.

Reactions: Oldhippie
Thanks for your responses. All I have is the stove. No pipe of any kind.

The stove is being installed next Saturday. My wife seems to have visions of enjoying a nice fire Saturday night. That's why I was wondering if the curing could be done before the install.

I think I may have to "manage her expectations."

It will let off smoke in decreasing quantities for the first 4-8 fires, but my NC-30 gave off that "hot paint" smell for between 20 and 25 fires. I think last night's fire was the first time I didn't smell it. You can enjoy a nice fire, but it may be slightly malodorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.