First stove - used blaze king princess?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jacobi

Sep 12, 2020
Idaho
Hey guys - hoping to purchase my first stove for the winter. I'll be heating a 1100 sq ft old cabin with fairly poor insulation. Footprint is only 750 sq ft, with 350 sq ft up top, lofted. I'm looking for a stove that can burn overnight so I don't have to start it everyday. Someone is selling a 9 year old blaze king princess near me. They repainted it and say they put in a new cat 3 years ago. Is $600 a decent price for a stove of this age? He says it was his mother in laws and they built a new house with electric for her as she's aging. Not sure what these stoves lifespan is but have read overall great reviews for it on this forum. Thanks

$600 is pretty good as long as there are no big issues. At that age it will need some maintenance and probably a new door and bypass gasket and maybe a new cat. Looks for signs of warping in the flame shield and bypass.

At that age it will make all the difference in the world whether it was used hard or used seldom/soft. My princess is about the same age and has a lot of hours but the paint is fine and I paid 3500$ for it new in 2012. 600$ is a great deal if it has not been melted inside or physically damaged outside.

Ask them why it was repainted and look for internal damage. If all is good, snatch it up.

They are great stoves and that is a good price as long as the condition is good. But I am not sure if it is the best fit. Is the cabin heated full time with some other heat source or will you be coming into a cold cabin and trying to bring it up to temp? Once the place is up to temp I think a princess will be a very good fit. But they just are not very good at the high btu output required to bring a cold cabin up to temp.

Maybe the cabin is his full time residence and will be kept warm. He didn’t say but it is a good question.

The cat stoves excel at keeping a space warm with long constant output in their low/medium settings. That’s where they are most efficient and clean burning.

Reactions: bholler
Maybe the cabin is his full time residence and will be kept warm. He didn’t say but it is a good question.

The cat stoves excel at keeping a space warm with long constant output in their low/medium settings. That’s where they are most efficient and clean burning.
Very true if it is a full time residence it would surely be a good fit

If its in good shape I'd bet you wont get hurt on the deal either way! A thought.