First time: Installing ceramic fiber board insulation in firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MJSullivan56

Nov 10, 2022
Boston MA
Installer will be arriving in a few weeks to install a new Hearthstone Clydesdale II fireplace insert in our antique house here in southeast Massachusetts. In prepping the firebox, besides cleaning it out, I decided it would be a nice detail to add 1/2" ceramic fiber board insulation to the walls in order to reduce heating the bricks on this outside-facing chimney. Never having done this before I first made templates out of cardboard, hand-fitting them to the firebox, and then transferred the shapes to the three 23.6" X 35.4" insulation boards. To cut the boards with the least amount of dust generated I used a Dewalt multi-tool which cut through the boards like butter (Note: these boards are quite fragile and the fibers are nasty so go gentle with them and definitely wear a protective mask and gloves). I then taped all the cut edges with heat-reflective tape. Snug fit. Probably overkill. But I like it. Looking forward to my first fireplace insert!

Michael

Links:
IMG_5301.jpeg

Reactions: EbS-P