First time owner of wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormyone

Dec 30, 2013
North Carolina
Hello Everyone,

I am a first time owner of a wood burning insert. Here is a little information about my setup. I have a Buck Stove Model 21 insert with a 16 ft. SS insulated chimney liner. I really enjoy the stove and it puts out some great heat. But I have a couple of questions. First, I seem to be using what I believe to be more wood than I should, The wood that I am using is just the bundled stuff from Home Depot since I have not had time yet to go out and get a load of seasoned wood. Is this typical of the store bought kiln dried stuff? What I do is I get the fire going good and hot then I damper it down to slow down the burn but it still seems like it eats the wood up. Also once I damper down the flue temp goes from around 475-525 to around 375 to 425 I am getting this reading from a IR thermometer. My next question is how do I know if I am getting the " Re Burn" from the air tubes???? Any help or advice on how to maximize this stoves efficiency or just general advice for a first time owner would be great!

With a 1.6cu ft firebox you are not going to see long burn times. For a stove packed well with dry wood I would expect ~6 hrs between reloads with hardwood. You could experiment with closing the air down quicker on a reload.

With a 1.6cu ft firebox you are not going to see long burn times. For a stove packed well with dry wood I would expect ~6 hrs between reloads with hardwood. You could experiment with closing the air down quicker on a reload.

Thanks for the response!

Is it typical for the stor bought firewood to burn quicker? Also where is the best place on the Buck stove to measure the temp and is their a good way to know if the secondary tubes are working?

Status
Not open for further replies.