First timer - Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srussell1021

Aug 3, 2015
Baltimore
Hey everyone. I bought a new home recently and plan on starting the first fire in the fireplace tonight. I have experience with wood stoves but not a whole lot with fireplaces. I know the basics, open the damper, make sure everything is clear, start the fire, monitor it and never leave unattended etc. I was wondering if any of you had any extra tips. I was planning on using some Duraflame logs with kindling to get it started, I heard newspaper can create more amounts of creosote over time. I have a prefab fireplace with two pretty heavy cast iron framed doors with glass in front and a fan in the prefab itself. I know fireplaces aren't very efficient but still was wondering some tips of how to use the doors (or leave them open) and use the fan so I can at least get the most heat out of the prefab and wood burning. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! No help for you as I'm a pellet burner but wanted to give you a bump so you don't get lost...

If you don't have the manual for the prefab, try to track one down. Happy burning.

Hey everyone. I bought a new home recently and plan on starting the first fire in the fireplace tonight. I have experience with wood stoves but not a whole lot with fireplaces. I know the basics, open the damper, make sure everything is clear, start the fire, monitor it and never leave unattended etc. I was wondering if any of you had any extra tips. I was planning on using some Duraflame logs with kindling to get it started, I heard newspaper can create more amounts of creosote over time. I have a prefab fireplace with two pretty heavy cast iron framed doors with glass in front and a fan in the prefab itself. I know fireplaces aren't very efficient but still was wondering some tips of how to use the doors (or leave them open) and use the fan so I can at least get the most heat out of the prefab and wood burning. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Hi,

Re: the fireplace doors, always keep them open! Closing them is a potential safety hazard. The heat a fire can generate can cause glass doors to explode. It's fine to keep them closed when a fire isn't burning, but you should always keep them open when burning a fire. Enjoy your fireplace!

We can be of more help if we know the make and model of the fireplace. Often this is posted on a tag in the door frame area. If not, can you post a picture of it?

We can be of more help if we know the make and model of the fireplace. Often this is posted on a tag in the door frame area. If not, can you post a picture of it?

I have been looking for the make and model for weeks and can't seem to find it. I think I have to take something apart to find that out. The doors are cast iron with a pane of glass in the middle and there looks like there is a fireproof seal on the inside. I attached pics let me know what you think given the pics it still may be hard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 234
An overall pic would be helpful. That looks like an insert.

Let me know if this helps. I'm almost positive it's not an insert. It doesn't have any levers to manage air flow on it and it has a screen on the front and you wouldn't use a screen on an insert obviously. I'm frustrated with finding the make and model number to where I'm just gonna call for an estimate for an insert and have them locate the model number for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 225
Let me know if this helps. I'm almost positive it's not an insert. It doesn't have any levers to manage air flow on it and it has a screen on the front and you wouldn't use a screen on an insert obviously. I'm frustrated with finding the make and model number to where I'm just gonna call for an estimate for an insert and have them locate the model number for me.
May not be an insert but it looks as if it's at least a zero clearance and designed to be run with the doors closed. Hopefully someone will some along and recognize it an point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.