First winter in new house - options for old prefab w/ stone surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt S

Oct 26, 2013
Wichita, KS
This is my first post here, so hello! I'll cut right to the chase. This is my first cold season in our new home and I'm already sick of the fireplace in our living room (and I haven't even started a fire). In our previous home, I installed a Regency H2100 Hearth Heater into our Majestic prefab and we just loved it and the heat it put out. In this house, the prefab is a Heatilator Mark 123 Model 3042 and the way this one is cooled I don't think I'd be comfortable putting an insert in here. The fireplace cools with air intakes above and below the firebox that exit back into the chimney just under the damper. With an insert I think I would be blocking the return vent into the chimney with the liner and insulation and cutting off the cooling system. I really want a woodburning stove or high efficiency fireplace to help heat our 4k sq ft house. So my questions are:

1.) Am I correct to think that an insert is out of the question?

2.) If i wanted to remove the fireplace and install a high efficiency fireplace, would I have to demo all the stonework surrounding it?

Thanks!

IMG_0438.resized.JPG

I put an insert in my heatilator. And I'm in the process of making a block off plate which will eliminate the vent system. The stove does its own thing with air, it's not like the fireplace that needs the air circulation.

The insert is a self-contained convective unit. Installed correctly, it should be fine in there.

I'm not worried about the insert not getting enough air for combustion - I'm worried the heat the insert gives off will be too much for the fireplace. The fireplace has clearance tolerances based on the air flow cooling it. If that air flow is cut off, the clearances are not accurate for burning wood. Are you saying the insert will not be as hot as a fire in there so the clearances and air cooling don't matter?

Sons924 - what model Heatilator do you have? Did you have your insert installation inspected?

Not an issue.

Well I've just given myself permission to be okay with installing an insert as long as I get it inspected and everything. BUT I think it's useless as the vertical opening for my fireplace is only 16.25". The thing is 42 inches wide and very deep but only 16 inches tall! I don't think there are any inserts I'd be willing to purchase that will fit that opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.