First wood stove /insert advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Massey1045

Sep 17, 2018
Ohio
Hello Everyone ,
Thanks in advance for any tips or advice !
We cleared some land of infected ash trees and have lots of firewood, so it’s a good time to invest in a wood burning insert. I have talked to 3 different local installers.

Place 1: installs Jøtul stoves, Rockland 550.
Installed for $5500
This place has terrible yelp reviews , lots of problems waiting to long for work to be completed and after installation.

Place 2:
Does Blaze king , it would be a princess insert installed for $6000,
They seem very busy, can’t come out for 3 weeks to check the fireplace out and give a official quote. Also , 1-2 months after accepting before installation.

Place 3: this company seems smaller, nice guy who can do the install within a couple weeks, he came out within a couple days to
My house to check the fireplace out , he does Napoleon stoves , Qoute is Napoleon 1402 installed for 4500.

Obviously the bad yelp reviews on the first one make a not very likely choice.

My main question is , the blaze King takes bigger logs , has a higher rates btu output , higher burntime, bugger firebox , bigger logs...Is it worth dealing with a bigger company and more$$$ ?
Also, they all ask if I want them to get a permit , and obviously prefer I don’t , isn’t it prudent for me to insist?

Thanks for any advice !

If place 2 and 3 offer comparable inserts, $1500 is a sizable difference. You may reach out for other contractors too maybe search a little farther out of your area. I have no direct experience with either brand you listed but have a regency and love it

Hello Everyone ,
Thanks in advance for any tips or advice !
We cleared some land of infected ash trees and have lots of firewood, so it’s a good time to invest in a wood burning insert. I have talked to 3 different local installers.

Place 1: installs Jøtul stoves, Rockland 550.
Installed for $5500
This place has terrible yelp reviews , lots of problems waiting to long for work to be completed and after installation.

Place 2:
Does Blaze king , it would be a princess insert installed for $6000,
They seem very busy, can’t come out for 3 weeks to check the fireplace out and give a official quote. Also , 1-2 months after accepting before installation.

Place 3: this company seems smaller, nice guy who can do the install within a couple weeks, he came out within a couple days to
My house to check the fireplace out , he does Napoleon stoves , Qoute is Napoleon 1402 installed for 4500.

Obviously the bad yelp reviews on the first one make a not very likely choice.

My main question is , the blaze King takes bigger logs , has a higher rates btu output , higher burntime, bugger firebox , bigger logs...Is it worth dealing with a bigger company and more$$$ ?
Also, they all ask if I want them to get a permit , and obviously prefer I don’t , isn’t it prudent for me to insist?

Thanks for any advice !
Well i will start by saying if someone can come out in a couple days and install in a couple weeks this time of year i would have to wonder why. Most of us are booked out a month by now atleast. As far as the stove it will depend on how you will be using it and what your expectations are. The bk will give you much longer burntimes.

As far as pulling a permit goes. If a permit is required in your area and they told you not to get one dont let them work for you. They are starting off by cutting corners. Not a good impression. In our area permits are rarely required for chimney work but that may differ in your area.

If place 2 and 3 offer comparable inserts, $1500 is a sizable difference. You may reach out for other contractors too maybe search a little farther out of your area. I have no direct experience with either brand you listed but have a regency and love it
Blaze kings are much more expensive stoves than napoleons. And the op already said the bk was a bigger stove. So $1500 difference is not surprising.

Place 2, all day long. You will likely have this stove for two decades, it’s worth waiting for and paying for the right choice.

Make sure you check clearances. In my situation I had to get a flush insert.

Are you 100% wanting a pro installation? If yes you are on the right track. If you want there is a ton of info on this site about completing this project yourself. A few years ago I bought a used Napoleon 1402 and installed it myself with a full liner. I don't remember exact pricing but was less than $1000 total (of course my labor wasn't part of the 1000)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk