First Wood Stove - Jotul F600 - Hearth Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DanCorcoran said:
CarbonNeutral said:
DanCorcoran said:
Two thoughts:

1) putting stove in front of existing hearth would allow for side door on right;

2) putting stove where you originally propose would put hearth pad in line of traffic into room. This would create a tripping hazard, in which case someone might fall toward the stove and get severly burned.

I'd never noticed the f600 had the door on the opposite side to the Oslo.

I have no knowledge of the side door position, I just inferred right side based on the responses above. If wrong, sorry...

No, you're right

I'm wondering then about making it a one sided fireplace with a non-combustible wall on the LR side.

FWIW, out here if you were waiting for low propane prices, you would be in a very cold house.

Another question is how well the propane fireplace works as a heater and what is the btu output? I would expect the F600 to put out much more heat.

The vent-less gas logs do put out quite amount of heat, but do cost to run.
Just spoke to the wife, and thought we could put it where the loveseat is currently at. It would not be in the way of the main walkway, we don't use the loveseat that much, and we could look directly at the stove and see it burning where we currently sit. (The stove would be next to the TV, but we could keep it at least 3' away or more).
Moving the stove down the one wall to the right, where originally proposed, would take up the majority of that wall, and we would loose at least one main chair that the TV is viewed from.

Pictures attached.

Thoughts????

Attachments

• 100_9253.jpg
    100_9253.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_9254.jpg
    100_9254.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 208
Where does the flue go in this situation? - block off the stairs??

The F600 is a pretty radiant heater. I would be concerned with the proximity to the TV. There are other stoves that are convective heaters that would be better in that location.

Status
Not open for further replies.