First years savings using woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
Basically we used to pay $250 to 300 a month for gas during winter cold months. Last Dec we had a very cold month - lots of snow and maybe only one day above 32. Most of the time it was single digit nites and 20's during the day. Our Dec bill was $65. Now we dont heat only with wood but probably about 80% - we did put in a more energy efficient gas heater as well. Basically it comes on for a little in morning hours and if I let the fire go way down - its programmable so I have it cranking first thing in morning for a hour or so before I get up. Then I go down to a toasty living room and stoke the fire.

Now with the investment in the stove and buying wood the first year I am probably breaking even but there is nothing like heating with wood. I just got my firewood permit for the Natl forest - its basically anything dead and down I can have.

This summer I am going to build a big wood shed and start working on a couple years supply - I will buy some , scrounge some and get some whenever I can.

I am happy - gotta go I think I see a piece of wood in my neighbors yard that he dropped and I need to add to my pile............

The independence of knowing you will be warm, now that is priceless. For this heating season, up to mid December, my total savings as compared to a 10 year average, $575 !!! Not bad considering we are just entering the meat of the heating season.

Those are some good monthy savings and will pay off in the long run Keith. I figure my Fireview has paid itself off by now and I'm working on my new Keystone. My gas bill is around $30 per month just for hot water, my furnace doesn't even come on anymore no matter how cold it gets, I have over 900 lbs of soapstone warmth which looks and feels way better than an old gas furnace.

Just got my power bill for December...2 story 2100sqft, not counting basement, all electric.

Versus last December, (pre-stove), this Dec. was on average, 9 degrees colder per day than last year. This year Christmas decorations were in full effect, last year, none. (went to her parents for 10 days) Last year it was at most 68 in the house, because that is were the heat pump is set, 64 at night. This year 68 was considered chilly, house runs about 72-74 now.

So, was colder outside, warmer inside, we ran more lights, and were home all month...

Electric bill dropped $120. Will still take several years for the money side of the install to pay for itself, but the comfort and independence the stove gives pays off immeasurably..

;-)

Am happy.

For the previous 2 years, I ran a pellet stove 24/7 + the oil heat here and there, but definitely minimal. Went through ~ 4.5 ton of pellets per year. I'm guessing that I'm saving $1100 or so in pellets and perhaps another 50 or 75 in oil (yes, used in minimally!). So, subtract the $ in gas, oil, chains, etc. and still a good savings. With the tax credit, my stove was a little over $2000. I'm guessing that next winter will have the stove paid for in savings, then about $1000 less out of my pocket per year. Oh, yeah, and a HELL of a lot warmer - house was 64* with the pellet stove, low 70's with wood. Lots of other benefits as you all know! Cheers!

kayakkeith said:
Basically we used to pay $250 to 300 a month for gas during winter cold months. Last Dec we had a very cold month - lots of snow and maybe only one day above 32. Most of the time it was single digit nites and 20's during the day. Our Dec bill was $65. Now we dont heat only with wood but probably about 80% - we did put in a more energy efficient gas heater as well. Basically it comes on for a little in morning hours and if I let the fire go way down - its programmable so I have it cranking first thing in morning for a hour or so before I get up. Then I go down to a toasty living room and stoke the fire.

Now with the investment in the stove and buying wood the first year I am probably breaking even but there is nothing like heating with wood. I just got my firewood permit for the Natl forest - its basically anything dead and down I can have.

This summer I am going to build a big wood shed and start working on a couple years supply - I will buy some , scrounge some and get some whenever I can.

I am happy - gotta go I think I see a piece of wood in my neighbors yard that he dropped and I need to add to my pile............

Sounds like you're hooked - just like the rest of us! Regarding that woodshed: Don't stack unseasoned wood in there - season it outside in the wind and sun first then load up the w'shed.

I figured i saved at least $1000 a year as i get all the wood free of cost . Stove cost $2000 and iv used it 2 winters already so id say its MONEY IN THE BANK FROM HERE ON OUT.

I figured 1000 a year savings so about 3 years and that stove was paid for. Good news is I am on year 5 %-P

shawneyboy said:
The independence of knowing you will be warm, now that is priceless.

I cannot agree more with this comment. Our current home has all-electric appliances and is heated with home heating oil. If the power goes out, we freeze. If we don't freeze, we'll starve. If neither of those happens, we'll drown because our sump pump can't run. This is not a situation I'd like to be in for long.

You guys forgot to add in the cost for chainsaws, log splitters, trucks to haul the wood in, I think someone did mention wood sheds. It took me I figure 7 years to recoup my cost at saving $2000 a year between gas for the house and electricity for my shop. Figure in a trip to hospital once and a while also

In my current house we have always had wood stoves so I am not exactly sure how much I have saved per year. I think somewhere is the 1k range but a bit less the last two years because of low NG prices. So I thought approx 6 year payback on the Heritage in part due to the install cost. I think the Jotul will be quicker since I am getting the tax credit. I try to keep costs low, free wood, split by hand, and my truck isn't anything fancy. I did buy a new saw recently though.....

Hanko said:
You guys forgot to add in the cost for chainsaws, log splitters, trucks to haul the wood in, I think someone did mention wood sheds. It took me I figure 7 years to recoup my cost at saving $2000 a year between gas for the house and electricity for my shop. Figure in a trip to hospital once and a while also

Only have to figure all that if you had to buy it to run the stove. I don't own a splitter, I have not bought a truck to haul wood, or build a shed. I live in my woods, already owned the saws and a trailer for my lawn tractor.

I moved to my current location in May 2010. My previous house was difficult to move heat around and had Cold rooms. I still tried to heat with wood and use the furnace as little as possible.

My current house is smaller and is easier to move heat around. My electric bill last month was $17 and the month before that it was $38. It depends on my hot water abuse and the clothes dryer usage. My clothes dry on racks and I try not to waste electricity. I do have propane backup and when I travel I have to turn it on. It is a 500 gallon tank I think and so far I have used 5% this year mainly when I was switching stoves out.

As far as the truck, fuel, saw, chains and bar oil goes I would have that stuff anyway. The fuel and mix cost increases compared to a non wood burner but I like doing it anyway. It is sort of funny when I am in a group of people and everyone is talking about the cost of heating their house and how much they spend. Someone will ask me what my bill was and the look on their face when I say "$17 bucks plus cost of fuel" is priceless.

I figure we saved about 7 to 8 hundred bucks the 1st year burning wood. Even with having to buy wood, chainsaw gas/bar oil etc... total cost of stove plus install was roughly 5600 in change so 5 to 6 years it should pay it self off and start adding $ to my pocket. Once I punch a hole in the wall to get some heat to the back bedrooms I should be free of oil completely then the savings will be much more. By the predictions of 5 bucks a gallon gas by the end of 2012 the save-o-meter should really kick in. But I must add however even in a break even or a slight loss situation the heat from wood is soooooo nice by comparison. I don't recall anyone sitting on the couch with their shirt off burning oil or gas.

From what I'm reading in this post, no matter how or what all have stated your houses are warmer then before. To me, that is the goal of owning a stove for heat...the money will come later! :coolsmile:

Enjoy the warmth, I know I am...
md

I shudder to think of how much would it cost to heat the house to mid to high 70's with oil.

Will

I had a stove in the house when I moved in...4 years of 6 cords with a splitting axe, yep, splitter and chainsaw were paid for before I bought the new stove. Heck, I did some tree work and paid for the saw the first year... I am wayyyy ahead and much warmer both summer and winter! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.