Fisher Baby Bear In Cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Baby Bear is rated to heat 900 to 1250 sq. ft. It depends on how well the cabin is insulated, how cold it gets and how fast you want to heat up a cold cabin. I would have no problem installing a Baby Bear your sized cabin. In fact I have a BB in my garage just waiting of a cabin of about your size that I hope to build.

Would like to stay with the fisher best stoves ever made
What makes you say they are the best stoves ever made? I am really curious.

As far as the size it depends on many many factors. But it really can take a huge amount of BTUs to bring a cold structure and all of its contents up to temperature. It could actually be to small

I have a tiny house almost the same size I love to stay in the winter. I had a century s244 in it. The s244 heated it good but wouldn't heat it all night... if you got up a few times a night and fed it... you were fine. I installed a fisher baby bear and it was a whole new ball game... it heats all night. Better control of the heat out put for comfort and cooking. Inside temp on arrival has been 30* F took the baby bear an 1 1/2 hours to bring it up to 80* F . I wasn't pushing it to hard either. Good little stove.

I have a tiny house almost the same size I love to stay in the winter. I had a century s244 in it. The s244 heated it good but wouldn't heat it all night... if you got up a few times a night and fed it... you were fine. I installed a fisher baby bear and it was a whole new ball game... it heats all night. Better control of the heat out put for comfort and cooking. Inside temp on arrival has been 30* F took the baby bear an 1 1/2 hours to bring it up to 80* F . I wasn't pushing it to hard either. Good little stove.
I am not surprised. The century is a tiny entry level stove

The quality is great and the amount of heat they produce over a extended time period I'm my opinion makes them the best
I am curious what other stoves you are comparing them to. Quality is certainly good for the time and they are all but indestructible so those are certainly pluses for them. But any modern stove and several ones from the time if you are comparing similar sized stoves will put out more heat longer with less wood and less creosote. They are certainly great stoves for their time. And even now for heating a shop etc where you need lots of BTU s in a hurry they are a good fit. But after burning several fishers and dozens of other stoves I cant honestly see them as the best stove ever made.

Fishers and other similar stoves are also a good choice for cabins in general. They are not used for full time heat so efficiency isn't really as much of a concern. And when coming into a cold cabin they can be run really hard with no worries. But there is absolutely no way I would ever go back to using one as a full time heater.

If you were to recommend a stove for a home for a main heat source, what would it be?
That really depends on your needs. If it is a lower btu application blaze kings with their long even burns are great. For higher btu I prefer noncats there just is no need to add the expense of replacing cats when you really won't be seeing the benifit from them. Some regencies are still non cat Pacific energy lopi and quad are all good ones. Sbi also make a wide selection of good stoves including some nice budget options. And Englander has some that are great value as well

I heat with a Grandma Bear. It’s a great heater . Only down side is it gobbles wood. I conquered the overnight burn. I would need to factor the cost of a new similar to the Grandma Bear Stove to see if it was a feasible move cost wise .

I heat with a Grandma Bear. It’s a great heater . Only down side is it gobbles wood. I conquered the overnight burn. I would need to factor the cost of a new similar to the Grandma Bear Stove to see if it was a feasible move cost wise .
At this point all prices are up. And some stoves still have bugs to be worked out after the new 2020 emissions regulations. So unless you find a good used one I personally would wait a year or 2.

Just a quick question can I run the pipe straight out of the stove through the wall then have all the pipe on the outside of the cabin
Yes but it's better and cheaper to have most of the pipe inside the cabin. Connector pipe that you would use up to the ceiling is much cheaper than chimney pipe.

Reactions: coaly
Just a quick question can I run the pipe straight out of the stove through the wall then have all the pipe on the outside of the cabin
Depends on the stove model.
The manual for Fireplace Series III requires double wall pipe with a horizontal through the wall installation.

An exterior chimney is not the best due to cooling, so it should be the double wall insulated "pack" type. Going through overhangs, supports and cost of the through the wall kit with exterior clean out adds to cost.

Rear vented stoves were made for this type installation but can be installed with a Tee inside with a through the roof type just as well. I prefer that instead of an elbow for an earlier stove with the smaller outlet pipe inner dimension. The Tee fits over the outlet pipe very well compared to trying to over crimp an elbow or straight pipe into the stove outlet.

Depends on the stove model.
The manual for Fireplace Series III requires double wall pipe with a horizontal through the wall installation.

An exterior chimney is not the best due to cooling, so it should be the double wall insulated "pack" type. Going through overhangs, supports and cost of the through the wall kit with exterior clean out adds to cost.

Rear vented stoves were made for this type installation but can be installed with a Tee inside with a through the roof type just as well. I prefer that instead of an elbow for an earlier stove with the smaller outlet pipe inner dimension. The Tee fits over the outlet pipe very well compared to trying to over crimp an elbow or straight pipe into the stove outlet.
Yes absolutely a tee should be used regardless.

Ok I am trying to save space in the cabin I don't have a problem using the stainless on the outside just don't want to loose the space with the pipe on the inside.

Ok I am trying to save space in the cabin I don't have a problem using the stainless on the outside just don't want to loose the space with the pipe on the inside.
Thats understandable but when you factor in the required clearances for the stove I doubt it will be using much more space at all if you keep the pipe inside.

For the damper is the nut supposed to be welded to the inside of the door? the damper just spins the whole assemble and it looks like someone put a weld on the threaded rod to the nut.