FISHER Grandma and Grandpa Bear Details (Fireplace Series)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What's left of the manufacturer's label.

DSCN9068.JPG

Last edited:
img_0924-jpeg.313955

Hello
I’m taking this Grandpa Bear out tomorrow and wondering:
1. How likely is it that it would be bought, in Brewster NY
2. Is there a forum on Hearth where units can be posted for sale?

Thanks for any responses ☺️

IMG_0924.jpeg

img_0924-jpeg.313955

Hello
I’m taking this Grandpa Bear out tomorrow and wondering:
1. How likely is it that it would be bought, in Brewster NY
2. Is there a forum on Hearth where units can be posted for sale?

Thanks for any responses ☺️

View attachment 313955
It’s a Grandma I, unlisted, so where UL approval is required can hurt sales. They are seasonal, highest in the Fall. Down the Forum home page is the classified section; https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/classifieds-for-sale-wanted-etc.10/

Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist is where you will find many more.

Reactions: IriePT
Thanks for the correction and the forum information. Much appreciated!
That looks like a fireplace screen in the background, that adds value. Also if the firebricks are in good shape that would too. I would check Facebook Marketplace for stoves sold in your area to get an idea on price.

Reactions: IriePT
That looks like a fireplace screen in the background, that adds value. Also if the firebricks are in good shape that would too. I would check Facebook Marketplace for stoves sold in your area to get an idea on price.
Thank you for pointing that out. I’ll add the accessories to the description.

I need to replace some broken bricks in my grandma bear wood stove on the right side, as I'm facing the stove. Do I need to remove all the bottom bricks or just the ones on the right side?

Great thanks for your help. We love this stove. It has served us very well for many years through blizzards and wind storms where we lost power as well as when the furnace has broken down.

Longtime owner of a Grandpa Bear Stove here. It's designed somewhat like the one in post 202 except it's bigger and has a top exiting vent. I also have the original fireplace screen with it. I bought it brand new no sooner than 1979 because I moved into the house that I originally used it in 1979. I'm thinking that it was one that was sitting on the floor for a couple years because of the style. I can't find any identifying marks on it to show when it was built. I don't know if this is odd or not but mine was painted red. It still has the original paint on it but is faded.

I used it in my first house and when I moved in 1988 to another house I didn't hook it up for several years. I'm guessing I started using it again in about 1995 and with the exception of a two or three years have been using it ever since.

I'm going to buy a pellet stove but will still use a wood stove when needed. I'm also thinking of buying another wood stove to replace this one but I will have to say that this stove has been with us for so long that it feels like part of the family.

Edit; I just went and measured the width of the top plate and it's 32 1/4".

Last edited:
Hey Coaly, I know this is an old thread, but I’m new to Fisher Stoves and just got my first Grandpa. I was reading above where you said the only GP’s with the round rod door seals were the 76 bicentennials. So, mine has those type door seals, but no 76 or a star where the 76 would normally go. It does have the taller outer trees. Thoughts?

Hey Coaly, I know this is an old thread, but I’m new to Fisher Stoves and just got my first Grandpa. I was reading above where you said the only GP’s with the round rod door seals were the 76 bicentennials. So, mine has those type door seals, but no 76 or a star where the 76 would normally go. It does have the taller outer trees. Thoughts?
No idea. I’ve only seen that old style door with ‘76 in the star or a blank star with round seal.