Fisher Mama Bear - Door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveymw

Jan 23, 2009
GA & KY
Hi All -

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for quite a while and I've already gotten lots of information here, thanks for that.

We bought a farm in beautiful central Kentucky and there's an old house there we're using for a hunting camp. I just got a great old Fisher Mama Bear (single door) wood stove to put in the house. I'm replacing some fire brick and want to install a new gasket rope around the door. I bought 1/2" carbon impregnated fiberglass gasket rope and, when installed, I can't close the door properly.

I did a search and found the .pdf owners manual for the grandma bear stove on here and it didn't look like it had a gasket at all???

So - was there originally a gasket on this stove? The guy I bought it from says yes. Although there was no gasket on it when I bought it, It looked like a gasket was installed in the "U" channel around the opening on the stove-front rather than on the door, Is this correct? And what size gasket rope should I use for the door to still close properly?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

These stoves did not originally use a gasket.

If you were going to retrofit one, you would use a flat "tape" gasket which would glue against the flat part of the channel on the stove front. This would be 5/8 or 3/4" wide and usually specified as 1/4" or so deep...the thinner the better.

Thanks Craig!

When closed without a gasket it seems the door wouldn't be completely "air tight", you can jiggle it a little, is this normal? If so, I'll just go with it as is, or would you recommend retrofitting with the flat tape to seal it up a little better?

If it helps any, this is one of the later Fisher stoves with a certification plate attached to the back listing clearances, etc.

Appreciate your help!

Dave

Fishers are built like tanks. Dad is still heating with one from the mid 70s, and his mom was until he installed a new Lopi Liberty for her back in November. She's mastered the Liberty, but I think she secretly misses that old Fisher! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.