Fisher Stove model identification - please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FallRiverLady

Nov 23, 2022
Fall River, Nova Scotia
We are in the process of selling a Fisher Stove we bought in the early 1980s. We THOUGHT it was a Mama Bear but upon reading some different articles, now I’m wondering if it’s a Grandma. The brick pattern seems to suggest that from what I read, but the dimensions don’t seem to match what an online Manuel I read says. Other than inside the doors, I don’t see any markings on it. The top of our stove is 25.5 inches wide and the stove is is about 22 inches deep. Could someone please help me out and tell me what model stove I have? Lol. Thank you for any insight you can offer!

E13DC117-7047-4BB0-ABFC-B6CC42E22811.jpeg 85795F64-1325-4A11-A51A-BC5C23157D4C.jpeg 654066E5-80E7-498C-882D-1823D089202F.jpeg 2FBC7776-9701-431C-B8FB-446FB04EEFC6.jpeg

Grandma III.

Can’t tell in the pic if the legs are angle iron corners, or bent corners making the box. Probably bent, since it has a factory baffle. That should also have a rear shield with UL tag with model, date, and fabricator.

Message me if you want to sell the feet separately. Probably get more for the stove and feet separating them. Since you are the original owner, you would know if they were plated, and later painted, or if they were always black. That would be the Black Oxide finish.

Grandma III.

Can’t tell in the pic if the legs are angle iron corners, or bent corners making the box. Probably bent, since it has a factory baffle. That should also have a rear shield with UL tag with model, date, and fabricator.

Message me if you want to sell the feet separately. Probably get more for the stove and feet separating them. Since you are the original owner, you would know if they were plated, and later painted, or if they were always black. That would be the Black Oxide finish.
Oh thank you so much for that info Coaly! Very helpful. And speedy. Very glad I found this forum. 😊

When you speak of this UL tag with model, etc….where would that be?? On the back side of the stove? Is it like a screwed on plaque of some kind? The back of the stove is just unmarked metal with nothing on it.

Also, if you have any idea of what a reasonable price range is for the stove (or the feet separately you say?) that would be great. We never used it often and the thing hasn’t been lit in over 20 years.

The stoves with angle iron on the corners that becomes the legs at bottom were not UL Listed. They had no shields. Stoves with rounded bent front corners should have a shield on the back with tag affixed to the shield on this model.

Price should be much higher if Listed, which can be legally installed in areas that do not require EPA emission certification. Without the tag, it is now unlisted, even if there was one originally. Codes now require all appliances to be Listed with Label affixed in most states and Canada.

Feet vary in price. There are 2 types with many variations. The first type was the forward facing type like yours made of cast iron. You would have to verify that with a magnet first. A magnet should stick to yours. In this design there were first chrome plated smooth, and chrome plated with Fisher Stoves across toes, (both of these with or without holes in the bottom) and the last forged from cast iron had hair detail, which I believe yours is, not a smooth finish. This last style was available in plated brass, or black oxide finish. When the plated version gets rusty, people tend to wire wheel the rust off and paint them black. They look like the iron oxide finish, but are not. So I have not taken the chance buying a set online since I have all the others and only need the original black oxide finish set. This is why I asked if you, being the original owner painted them, or if they are the original finish. This is similar to bluing of a gun barrel with controlled corrosion preventing oxygen from getting to the clean metal under the coating preventing rust.

The second type are angled, not facing straight forward. Non-magnetic with engraved hair and white brass plating. They are marked inside on bottom FISHER INT EUGENE OREGON. The cast iron type has no identifying markings.

Without a UL Label, you should get as much for the feet or more than the stove only. Stove prices vary by season and location. An area that requires inspections can be worthless unless finding someone willing to install illegally, as well as being unlawful to sell in some jurisdictions.

There is a sub-forum here for classified item sales. Let me know in a PM if you list them here or elsewhere.

Reactions: FallRiverLady
I should congratulate you on not over tightening the right door handle over the years! The angle when latched is still correct. Most owners tightened the handle down excessively, and over time with heat, the latch rod bends inside, and the right handle latched in a lower position. There is an easy fix, but this one appears to have been used properly, or very little.

(Yes, a Mama Bear is a single door stove from the Bear Series with 6 inch outlet) Double door stoves are the Fireplace Series. If you still have the screen, in good condition it is worth quite a bit as well. This screen fits the Fireplace Insert, Goldilocks, Teddy Bear, and Grandma. Like the feet, they can sell for more than the stove.

Reactions: FallRiverLady
The stoves with angle iron on the corners that becomes the legs at bottom were not UL Listed. They had no shields. Stoves with rounded bent front corners should have a shield on the back with tag affixed to the shield on this model.

Price should be much higher if Listed, which can be legally installed in areas that do not require EPA emission certification. Without the tag, it is now unlisted, even if there was one originally. Codes now require all appliances to be Listed with Label affixed in most states and Canada.

Feet vary in price. There are 2 types with many variations. The first type was the forward facing type like yours made of cast iron. You would have to verify that with a magnet first. A magnet should stick to yours. In this design there were first chrome plated smooth, and chrome plated with Fisher Stoves across toes, (both of these with or without holes in the bottom) and the last forged from cast iron had hair detail, which I believe yours is, not a smooth finish. This last style was available in plated brass, or black oxide finish. When the plated version gets rusty, people tend to wire wheel the rust off and paint them black. They look like the iron oxide finish, but are not. So I have not taken the chance buying a set online since I have all the others and only need the original black oxide finish set. This is why I asked if you, being the original owner painted them, or if they are the original finish. This is similar to bluing of a gun barrel with controlled corrosion preventing oxygen from getting to the clean metal under the coating preventing rust.

The second type are angled, not facing straight forward. Non-magnetic with engraved hair and white brass plating. They are marked inside on bottom FISHER INT EUGENE OREGON. The cast iron type has no identifying markings.

Without a UL Label, you should get as much for the feet or more than the stove only. Stove prices vary by season and location. An area that requires inspections can be worthless unless finding someone willing to install illegally, as well as being unlawful to sell in some jurisdictions.

There is a sub-forum here for classified item sales. Let me know in a PM if you list them here or elsewhere.
Thank you for all the great info. I did send you a PM about the feet, which are completely original.