FISHER wood stove: model, year and a couple more questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

melvinjo

Dec 13, 2023
Salem, Mo USA
Hello.. I was fortunate to have a woodstove given to me by my neighbor when I moved from Co to Mo. I had used a woodstove, already installed in my Co home, and I used it for 12 years. He gave this to me when I said my house in Mo didnt have one. And it really needs one...........

Its in great shape, just needs a little refurb

A contractor visited me on a dif issue, saw the stove, and he had many comments

Questions:

Any idea on model/year?

There are two holes (See pics)
Which holes do what? (The man who saw it here said the top hole is a modification (?) done by a previous owner)

Which hole do I use for the chimney?

STOVE 1.jpg STOVE 2.jpg STOVE 3.jpg

This is a barometric stove, factory built with an air box in the top outlet for a barometric damper on the rear opening. Cap it. Do not use the damper, connect chimney flue to top outlet only.

This is a Series III that began in 1980.

Using the search feature at top right with key word barometric within this forum will give you lots of results.

Thanks A man that saw it said it might be a Papa Bear, not sure what that means
That's the model. I just acquired one that looks like yours, but mine is on a pedestal, and it's a little smaller. Mine is a Teddy Bear. On the rear of the stove, near the bottom, is a manufacturers data plate. It should tell you everything you need to know. Fisher is the manufacturer, Grandpa Bear is the model.

That's the model. I just acquired one that looks like yours, but mine is on a pedestal, and it's a little smaller. Mine is a Teddy Bear. On the rear of the stove, near the bottom, is a manufacturers data plate. It should tell you everything you need to know. Fisher is the manufacturer, Grandpa Bear is the model.
Or...Papa Bear....Mama Bear...etc

Thanks A man that saw it said it might be a Papa Bear, not sure what that means
Papa was the first welded steel plate stove made. It heats 2000sf. Then a smaller Mama that heats 1500 sf. and customers still needed something smaller, so Baby Bear was made to heat 1000sf. These were the originals called the Bear Series. These are single door 6 inch outlet stoves.

1976 started the Fireplace Series, what you have.
Start with the Everything Fisher thread in sticky section at top. This will identity any Fisher Stove.

Your stove details are here;
Read through it, you will find the Barometric stoves.