Fiskar Super Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
quads said:
Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Did some "real" splitting a few weeks ago. Big 12-18" + diameter oak and maple rounds. After my father-in-law watched me bounce my fiskars off of the 1st round 10-15 times he handed me a 10# maul (he was using his 8#). Splitting on 1-2 swings after that. The Fiskars are useful tools, but they have their place.
Oh wow, how dare you speak blasphemy against Fiskars. Didn't you know that Fiskars descended from the Hand Of God Himself to the holy land of Fin over 4 centuries ago. And be sure to bend your knees when using one, like this:
IMG_4374.jpg
Quads, you look like a good Catholic. I think with a little more prayer you could split that wood without a Friskers simply by waving your hand, just as Moses parted the Red Sea.

Bigg_Redd said:
Nonprophet said:
quads said:
Bigg_Redd said:
I have a a 6lb maul and a 2.25lb Pro Splitter.

I have found nothing that my maul can do that my 2.25lb Fiskars cannot do.

If a Fiskars ain't working then chalk it up to operator error.
Does your camera shoot video? Let's see some.

Quads,

I'm just curious. You admit that you've never tried a Fiskars, and, that you never intend to, and yet somehow you keep showing up in Fiskars threads with no experience in using one and no intention of ever trying one. What's up with that???

NP

x2

Put up or shut up
Ha ha! Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt any feelings.

As I've always said, I would really love to try one, just not going to buy one especially without trying first. And I seriously would like to see some video of Bigg Redd and Nonprophet working their Fiskars. Your videos could show some of the people how you properly use your Fiskars and might help prevent any future operator error. How about it guys? Put up.

I bought a fiskars and the directions said to lean up against block turn around and count to five. And WALLA!! the pieces layed before me! Thats why I can't understand why everyone is so concerned about the handle length.. go figure.

Garnification said:
I bought a fiskars and the directions said to lean up against block turn around and count to five. And WALLA!! the pieces layed before me! Thats why I can't understand why everyone is so concerned about the handle length.. go figure.

With that short handle, If you're a taller individual, there is a bit of bending involved in picking the axe back up when it;s time to put it back in the shed.

Fiskars threads make me LOL. I have one and it works great. I'm not made of money, but the total investment was $50. It's funny that there's less arguing over $1200+ gas powered log splitters.

Skier76 said:
Fiskars threads make me LOL. I have one and it works great. I'm not made of money, but the total investment was $50. It's funny that there's less arguing over $1200+ gas powered log splitters.

Don't forget about the money you have to spend to pull the splitter, skier76 how did your winter go?

zap

Quads you wouldn't look right with a Fiskars, keep pounding that mall.

Zap

zapny said:

Zap
Thanks Zap! And even if I was made of money, I'm not in the habit of buying things I do not need anyway. Especially without a test drive first.

quads said:
zapny said:

Zap
Thanks Zap! And even if I was made of money, I'm not in the habit of buying things I do not need anyway. Especially without a test drive first.

Quads how much snow do you have left.

Zap

zapny said:
quads said:
zapny said:

Zap

Quads how much snow do you have left.

Zap
It varies, but less than a foot now and going fast!

Sears, bought mine for $39 Pro spliting axe seems to work well even though I have only about one face cord of hickery getting to know it.

I was using the Fiskars SS last night and was grateful for the sharpness of the blade. It removed mulberry limbs from rounds (limbs missed by the chainsaw while bucking) up to 2" without any trouble. Also found out that if you lay a 2" thick limb on a chopping block it will chop through with one swing. Made a few 18" pieces without the need of a chainsaw. :D That must be the value of a well sharpened "axe".

zapny said:
Skier76 said:

Don't forget about the money you have to spend to pull the splitter, skier76 how did your winter go?

zap

Went well zap! Had a lot of fun with the new stove. I'm looking forward to getting a jump on next year's wood soon.

Got my SS today, went out to the pile and played a little bit with some white oak I just got delivered.

I noticed it either splits the wood or bounces back. Im not a big guy 5'9 160 lbs. After an hour of playing

I like it, it doesnt bury itself and get stuck and for the most part it makes 2 out of 1 rather easy. What I dont like about it

is it makes my forearms work overtime. Prolly cause its a new toy and I have to find the right posture for it.

Overall Im happy with it, ill let you know after I get rid of the 5 cord of wood to split.

I'll say it again. The only people who complain about the "short" handle on Fiskars SS axe are the people who have never used one.

Flatbedford said:
I'll say it again. The only people who complain about the "short" handle on Fiskars SS axe are the people who have never used one.
I can't argue with that, but how many "tall" guys have decided to buy one? I find that those are the ones who are complaining about the short handle.

paguy said:
What I dont like about it is it makes my forearms work overtime...
Prolly cuz you need to keep a death grip on the straight handle for fear of it glancing or bouncing back and hitting you in the forehead.

LLigetfa said:
paguy said:
Prolly cuz you need to keep a death grip on the straight handle for fear of it glancing or bouncing back and hitting you in the forehead.

Actually, I think the thickness and shape of the handle are ideal. It has a great flare on it. The problem, despite what other have said, is that the handle is in fact just a bit too short. I'm 6', and I'll confess to having a few swings that weren't perfectly aimed glance off the wood and come awfully close to my ankle. That never happens with the 32" handle on my Snow and Nealley. With the Fiskars, I take a conscious step back before I swing to keep my ankle safe. When I swing the Snow and Nealley, I stand square to the round. I've had the Fiskars SS bounce up off the wood, but never close to my head or face. I think the leg and foot are the big risks with the short handle.

And though I'm a Fiskars fan, I don't doubt there are those out there who have whacked their shin or ankle with it.

Danno77 said:
Flatbedford said:
I can't argue with that, but how many "tall" guys have decided to buy one? I find that those are the ones who are complaining about the short handle.

6'3" here, swing my Fiskars SS with no problem! Best splitting tool I've used on 25+ years of splitting wood........

NP

dave11 said:
LLigetfa said:
paguy said:

Actually, I think the thickness and shape of the handle are ideal. It has a great flare on it. The problem, despite what other have said, is that the handle is in fact just a bit too short. I'm 6', and I'll confess to having a few swings that weren't perfectly aimed glance off the wood and come awfully close to my ankle. That never happens with the 32" handle on my Snow and Nealley. With the Fiskars, I take a conscious step back before I swing to keep my ankle safe. When I swing the Snow and Nealley, I stand square to the round. I've had the Fiskars SS bounce up off the wood, but never close to my head or face. I think the leg and foot are the big risks with the short handle.

And though I'm a Fiskars fan, I don't doubt there are those out there who have whacked their shin or ankle with it.

If the handle is too short or you are too tall, widen the stance a little. This should really come pretty naturally.

Nonprophet said:
Danno77 said:
Flatbedford said:

6'3" here, swing my Fiskars SS with no problem! Best splitting tool I've used on 25+ years of splitting wood........

NP

My brother is 6'4" 260lbs and does not have a problem using mine when he gives me a hand. We both grew up using mauls and they both have their place. But the maul certainly does not get much use anymore. After i split with the Fiskars for a few hours i will use the maul just to use different muscles for the last 30 mins or so. I just purchased a splitter but the i take the Fiskars with me to half or quarter large rounds. I can never get the splitter up to the rounds in the woods so the splitter is used in the processing area.

I've split 2 cords of white/red oak with my new SS in the last month. Yesterday my neighbor (who heats exclusively with wood) came over to see what I was doing. He said he heard me running the saw recently and heard the whack of a maul/axe and offered me the use of his splitter (see my sig). I said thanx but no thanx. Splitting for an hour or two in the evening is fun with SS where with my old maul it was more like work. I told him I would love to use the splitter for the knotty stuff I'm starting to pile up. The maul and wedge won't get much use now.

I can split much faster with the SS than with a splitter. And the use of a 235/75/17 is a great addition. It keeps the splits within reach without bending to pick them up to stack and keeps the round on the stump instead of rolling off with an errant strike. And I can stand up an odd shaped round against the inside so it can be split easily.

But I will be getting the sharpener to maintain the edge. The tire does seem to accelerate the wear of the edge.

I am 6' and love ss splitter I have been splitting red oak with it some really big rounds 3'. I just chip away at the sides and work to the center. I use a bungie to keep the pieces together. It is so fast! I do a few rounds a day to prevent sore bones! I have an electric spltter that I like but have not used it since getting the ss on Amazon for 33$ the sharpener is cheep but works! Use a stump to protect your blade!

I have enjoyed using my Supper Splitter as well. The one problem I've had with it is that I've knicked myself twice with it enough to draw blood. Nothing too bad but it doesn't take much for the sharp edge to get you. First time I wasn't wearing gloves and reached for the axe without looking, got me on the thumb. Second time I had just split a round and went to set the axe down when it knocked into a piece of wood and bounced back at my leg. There was no hole in my pants but it still knicked me and drew blood somehow.

Both incidents were a result of me not taking my time but I've learned my lesson which is that I can't treat this like the old dull maul I'm used to and not expect stuff like this or worse to happen.

Just got mine yesterday (Fiskars SS) and it absolutely worked over some Chinese elm (hardest wood I have around here)! I tried to split with a maul and wedges, not a chance. Even the 25 ton MTD/Briggs and Stratton had a fairly rough time with this wood. I couldn't believe that it was actually splitting with this SS. I first grabbed it and was very skeptical and thought to myself, 'People are raving over THIS thing. No way. Way to light. Not a long enough handle to get a hard/heavy swing.' Boy was I wrong. It was raining outside and my wife couldn't get me to come in because I was having to much fun splitting with this thing! I enjoy doing all my splitting by hand, I had destroyed an 8 lb and 10 lb maul already (no biggie, home depot specials) and thought there just wasn't going to be a way to split the harder woods by hand so I gave in and picked up the hydraulic at an incredible price. I feel very fortunate to have a healthy body and so I'd like to do everything I can by hand or my own labor, now I know I can. Definite two thumbs up and worth the 40 bucks, BIG TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.