Fiskar's Hookaroon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
never heard the terminology "hookaroon" over at the sawmill that what we call a tie pick. used to move railroad ties, and beat blacksnakes, and clear jam ups at the chipper

Reactions: Lone_Gun
It really is a surprisingly useful, almost magical tool. It takes very little effort to stick it in wood, but it will stay in to pull and even lift large rounds and long poles. A little flick of the wrist or push/pull on the handle releases it.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
never heard the terminology "hookaroon" over at the sawmill that what we call a tie pick. used to move railroad ties, and beat blacksnakes, and clear jam ups at the chipper

Be nice to the blacksnakes; they're better than an army of cats for keeping the rats and mice down. That helps keep the ticks down, too. (They sure can make you think that you just found a cottonmouth before you get a good look at them, though.)

Didn't know if anyone has tried this one out before or knew about them

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYA0T9B/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I just ordered it and will be trying it out this weekend.

I ordered one a couple months ago. For the most part I like using it; you just need to figure out when it is and when it isn't more efficient to use. I do wish it was a bit longer. At 28" it just about reaches the ground when it let it hang straight down in my hand. That means I can't reach anything other the ground any further away than right at my feet. It is useful for unloading the trailer and grabbing pieces to pull up to the splitter. I considered a longer version, but Fiskars doesn't make one, and they seem to be considerably more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall I am very impressed. You just stick this thing in a wheel and you can pick it up without bending over. Very easy to hoist logs to the splitter. As with the X27 the handle is hollow so some speed is needed to bury it into the wood. Quality is on par with the rest of the Fiskars lineup and even has a nice case, again similar to the x27, to prevent damage to you or the hook.

BTW the 36" hook as stated above is no longer available on amazon.

i just use a mountaineering axe :)

Im looking at the oregon hookaroon or even the osx-version

115-137 bucks

Seems worth it for a guy who just had multiple fusions in his back:)

This is my favorite Picaroon
Lf96DQl.jpg