Fiskars SS vs. electric splitter on a cord of green oak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

av8roc

Nov 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Fiskars destroyed the electric splitter!

I just split and stacked a cord of green oak and I had both my Task Force 5 ton electric and Fiskars SS going. I probably used the fiskars for 90% of the splitting.

Don't get me wrong, the Task Force does a great job but it takes a while to get the wood up onto the splitter and the ram is slooooow. I figure I can split at least twice as fast manually with the SS.

There were also several knarly pieces that the electric stalled out on but I was able to get through with the Fiskars no prob. I also noticed that the electric splitter tends to make stringy splits that require some tearing to separate while the Fiskars makes a much cleaner cut.

I was rained out after getting through about 1/2 cord yesterday and today I didn't even take the Task Force out of the shed!

IMG00042-20091212-1532.jpg

Try splitting with a used tire (put the round(s) inside the tire on top of your chopping block--don't have to bend over pick up all the pieces while splitting.....) it's even faster!!!

NP

Nonprophet said:
Try splitting with a used tire (put the round(s) inside the tire on top of your chopping block--don't have to bend over pick up all the pieces while splitting.....) it's even faster!!!

NP

Thanks. I was actually using the bungee cord method today and that worked great too!

Good info, though I think the deck is clearly stacked in favor of the Fiskars based on the easy splitting wood and relatively small power splitter :) If that were elm and a 20 ton splitter, I suspect the tables would be substantially reversed!

cozy heat said:
Good info, though I think the deck is clearly stacked in favor of the Fiskars based on the easy splitting wood and relatively small power splitter :) If that were elm and a 20 ton splitter, I suspect the tables would be substantially reversed!

Well, I don't own a splitter, but I rented a Husky 27 ton a few weeks ago to go through some big Elm and Oak that I had. Yes, it split it, but it sure was sloooooooowwwwwwwwwww. That being said, as much as I love my Fiskars SS, there are some pieces of wood that are just better split by a splitter..........and 30" rounds of Elm and Red Oak are pretty darn tough.......

NP

I was going to possibly get an electric splitter. However, after getting the Fiskars, I think I'll hold off. The Fiskars is very easy to swing, but cuts just as well, if not better than a heavy maul. It's like swinging an axe, with the results of a maul.

’bert said:
you would think that a product that gets so many positive reviews here would advertise on this site!!

What goes on here is better than any advertizing that Fiskars could do.. From what I read here I would have no reservations buying one and if I was able to swing a maul I would buy one in a NY minute! The pictures show a very high quality tool and looks impressive at least to me..

Ray

’bert said:
you would think that a product that gets so many positive reviews here would advertise on this site!!

Are you kidding? Most Finns have never heard of the internet, or advertising.

Bigg_Redd said:
’bert said:

Hevonpaska!!! ;)

Since the price is so reasonable on the Fiskars SS, I think I'm going to order two more and put them away in my garage attic. That way I'm the only one that knows they are there, I'me covered in the event Fiskars decides to quit marketing it, and its away from the eyes of my buddies who are always looking for something to "borrow".

For me, the main advantage of an electric splitter is accuracy. I get more pieces of the size and shape I want and less oddballs.

If you block the space between the ram and the log, that eliminates the waiting and speeds things up nicely.

cozy heat said:

The splitter still cost me 5X as much money and because of that I figured it would be my preferred tool. I didn't start the thread to bash the Task Force but more to emphasize how impressed I was with the SS. I know what you are saying about the wood though, that stuff splits beautifully!

Sisu said:
Bigg_Redd said:
’bert said:

Hevonpaska!!! ;)

hahaha. että oli hyvä

THEMAN said:
Sisu said:
Bigg_Redd said:
’bert said:

Hevonpaska!!! ;)

hahaha. että oli hyvä

Kiitos kyllä! The next thing that he will say is that most Finns have never seen cellphones and are a bunch of civilized teetotalers..... :)

Sisu said:
THEMAN said:
Sisu said:
Bigg_Redd said:
’bert said:

Hevonpaska!!! ;)

hahaha. että oli hyvä

Kiitos kyllä! The next thing that he will say is that most Finns have never seen cellphones and are a bunch of civilized teetotalers..... :)

No one is fooled by all that jibberish, Finn.

Sisu said:
Not sure what that all has to do with advertising. Fiskars does a lot of advertising, just not here and apparently there are so many Fiskars fanboys here that it would be akin to preaching to the choir.

Finns are often regarded as frugal and they're known for linux which is FOSS. They're also known for their consumption of vodka and their use of rope... ummm... nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.