Fixing my Valor in-valve spin Piezo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
OK, experts...time to help the old expert.....

My Valor DV gas fireplace has one of those piezos that is NOT a push-button, rather it is part of the valve (you spin to click and light). It's the right hand dial as shown.

I took the glass off and pulled the wire (12) and cleaned contacts on both ends. The wire has continuity and has no splits or breaks. The wire will not spark when the ignitor end is held near other metal...nor when on the igniter. The valve does make the loud clicking sound...and the value has not be over-used (seasonal house).

What is the usual solution to this one? I guess I could install my own push-button separate piezo if needed (push button), but if there is any way of fixing short of replacing the gas valve I'd do that.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 2.34.54 PM.png

You have continuity, but to you have COMPLETE sheathing?
That spark will go to the nearest ground & a break in the sheathing
(dry rot) will let the spark go ground BEFORE it gets to the intended location.

The wire is silicone coated and perfect - not a crack or a split in it or near the connector.
The continuity is when I remove the wire completely and check both ends of it.....with ohm meter.

As mentioned, I can hold it in my hand and near other metal and no spark..no spark anywhere. I snugged up the connectors (squished them a bit) too........

So, let's pretend that the problem is not the wire.....have you ever had to fix one where no spark was coming out of the control module?
Again, this is one where the piezo generator is part of the gas valve.

One can never be certain, but I am 95% sure the wire is not the problem..so that leaves the valve!

I should say that you cannot visibly see where the wire plugs into the valve - it is on the side and inside a little cut-out U in the sheet metal, so I went by feel. But it slides onto a shaft tightly inside that slot, so my guess is that it's the correct fitting - it's also right as shown on the diagram (#12 - which inserts into the left side of the valve)......

Should I wet my finger and see if it shocks me? :)

I installed a separate push piezo - independent of the valve - $10 and it works like a champ.
Meanwhile, the entire pilot assembly on my double sided Lennox had failed (the pilot piezo had failed years ago) so I replaced that whole assembly - about $95 for the parts - so now I have two working Fireplaces with Piezo ignition.
It's still interesting that there is not more info on those valves with built-in piezo - it would seem to not be a great design if the failure of the Piezo can cause a $700+ repair or more (complete valve replacement).