Flame Monaco XL Install - Ceiling Clearance Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

daltonhawk

Dec 31, 2018
Scappoose Oregon
I'd like to install a Flame Monaco XL in my living room but the ceiling is only 84" and the Monaco manual calls for 84" from the base of the unit to the ceiling and if it's directly on the floor an R2 hearth pad extending out 32" is required. The thickness of the pad would require elevating the unit and I would have 82" or so of clearance.

My prefered option would be to install the Monaco at 12" off the floor which removes the R-value requirement of the hearth pad.

Would it be acceptable to reduce the clearance with a heat shield on the ceiling per NFPA211? Would I need to put a shield inside the chase as well?

The Monaco will be installed below a bedroom. I'd like to put a floor vent to allow heat from the chase below to heat the bedroom above with a low intake vent on the side of the chase to allow gravity circulation. Are there any concerns with the floor vent with or without the reduced clearance?

I plan to discuss this with the local authorities as well but I'm interested in thoughts here. I did look into other Zero-Clearance options but most have similar clearance requirements. The standard size Monaco has the requirement reduced to 80" so that's one backup plan but I prefer the larger firebox for an overnight burn in my drafty house.

Just went through finding a replacement stove to go in our brick alcove that would meet the clearances we have. In the end, there were not that many stoves that could meet the clearances I have available.

SBI is really good about giving detailed information on clearances and things you can do to reduce them. If a particular clearance reduction method is not mentioned in the manual, I doubt the UL certification would cover it. I would contact SBI directly to see about clearance reduction methods available and get documentation that the UL certification covers that variant.

I think I will try reaching out to SBI, however I doubt that they'll be willing to give advice on things outside of what they specify in the manual.

I don't expect that they tested reducing clearances with UL, if they decided that not enough customers would need reduced clearances, they wouldn't want to spend the time and money to do additional testing. It gets expensive fast.

Isn't the idea of NFPA211 to provide generic methods to reduce clearances without requiring testing specific to the appliance model that's being installed?

I spoke with SBI. The only way they think it would be OK is if I can finish the hearth flush with the floor to give me every one of the 84" I have available.

Making an R2 hearth with one inch of micor plus finish material and keeping it flush will be a challenge. I'll have to look at the subfloor to see if it's possible.

I think sticking to their tested and approved configurations makes the most sense. You wouldn't want an unsafe installation, and you certainly don't want to give your insurance company an excuse not to cover you in the event of a loss.

Reactions: marty319
So, reiterating, my plan is to meet the clearances in the manual by installing the Monaco at floor level and building the hearth flush with the floor.

Now that I'm into the demo, I'm considering pouring an insulated slab to sit the Monaco on and topping off the slab with stone for the hearth. The Majestic I removed was sitting on a slab that was poured 7" below the finished floor. Each corner of the Majestic was sitting on three bricks to bring it up to floor level.

Last edited:
I’m finally getting around to posting a picture of how this turned out. All the clearances are met and we had no issues with the inspector. We’ve been really happy with it. More burn time would be nice but it produces a ton of heat and a beautiful fire.
One tip for anyone looking for micor, I found it very inexpensive to buy 4x8 sheets at GTS interior, a local contractor supply store that sells sheet rock and metal studs for interior finishing. I think it was around $30 a sheet.

2903818E-DD20-4235-82A3-DBB0DDD18235.jpeg

That looks fantastic. Nicely done.