Flex to rigid adaptor for top of chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 9, 2017
Ozarks
Pardon me if this is answered elsewhere, but my Google-fu is failing me on this.

So I am looking at installing a Drolet Escape 1800-I insert in my masonry chimney. The manual recommends to install "a minimum of 12" rigid liner between the top of the masonry chimney and the rain cap". The manual implies that this should be done whether you are using flex liner or rigid.

To me this actually seems like a good idea as my chimney is right at the minimum chimney height for this insert (12 feet) as it stands.

Is there an adaptor to switch from flex to rigid liner like this? Or will I have to fab something?

Pardon me if this is answered elsewhere, but my Google-fu is failing me on this.

So I am looking at installing a Drolet Escape 1800-I insert in my masonry chimney. The manual recommends to install "a minimum of 12" rigid liner between the top of the masonry chimney and the rain cap". The manual implies that this should be done whether you are using flex liner or rigid.

To me this actually seems like a good idea as my chimney is right at the minimum chimney height for this insert (12 feet) as it stands.

Is there an adaptor to switch from flex to rigid liner like this? Or will I have to fab something?
Yes there is but you dont want to use uninsulted pipe there it will collect lots of creosote. If you need to extend it use insulated class a chimney

bholler is correct, you need either an Anchor plate or Transition plate, they are what you will mount onto the crown of your masonry chimney, then this allows you to then attach a Class A pipe to that. Different Class A manufactures call it something different. Ventis has an Anchor Plate or Transition Plate, and on the bottom side is a clamp to hold the flex liner and on the top side is where the class A attaches.

You will need an anchor plate and adapter to match the chimney you choose to use
bholler is correct, you need either an Anchor plate or Transition plate, they are what you will mount onto the crown of your masonry chimney, then this allows you to then attach a Class A pipe to that. Different Class A manufactures call it something different. Ventis has an Anchor Plate or Transition Plate, and on the bottom side is a clamp to hold the flex liner and on the top side is where the class A attaches.

Great, thank you both for the help.

Some manufacturers offer an "extenda cap kit" also.
I know Duravent does. There is another company called ExtedaFlue also.