Flexi-liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
. . .It does look like a legit ss liner for wood correct?
Looks very similar to mine.
+1 for the $100 special.==c

While we're on the topic, does anyone have an opinion on how longevity may be affected by the amount of bend used in the install of the flex pipe, like at the damper area.

Looks very similar to mine.
+1 for the $100 special.==c

While we're on the topic, does anyone have an opinion on how longevity may be affected by the amount of bend used in the install of the flex pipe, like at the damper area.
It shouldnt cause a problem as long as it isn't kinked. When they have been used for years they can get brittle so bending ones that have been used allot can be a problem. But you should be fine

IMG_1626.jpg IMG_1625.jpg

This is whats in the chimney now, looks like an inner layer is popping out due to where it was crushed while installing.
This is a little different then the flexi stuff

Looks like they smashed it against the firebrick and kinked it. Either more bricks needed removed, or an elbow was needed.

So much room too, maybe they did it b4 removing more brick.
We shouldnt use this liner right?

So much room too, maybe they did it b4 removing more brick.
We shouldnt use this liner right?
Hard to tell because it is so dirty but it looks like the 2 ply smoothwall crap. I wouldmt use it.

Yup i think its that. A self tapper pushes inner section in instead of drilling through it

Yup i think its that. A self tapper pushes inner section in instead of drilling through it
yeah the worst type of liner available on the market without a doubt. And screws should not be used with it at all.

No screws on the light wall stuff either right?

20170404_165002.jpg

Went and picked it up this afternoon, magnet doesnt stick. Well just use the liner and cap from what it came with, although cap looks like it may clog easy.
You think the drolet will come with a clamp style appliance connector?

That cap doesnt look to bad the holes are pretty big It will probably be fine. But it looks to me like that top plate is meant to be attached to the liner with screws. You should get an appropriate top plate and appliance adapter with clamps on not the type that gets screwed on. Screws just dont hold in lightwall liners.

Last edited by a moderator:
20151022_172820.jpg
Yes we're gonna do the same deal as mine(pic above) and order the correct appliance adaptor also.

20150909_180306.jpg Screenshot_2017-04-05-10-29-28.png

My projected plan is to remove the clays down to the last ones that are cemented in and only insulate above that, this will leave 5' or less un-insulated close to stove.
This seem ok or should i knock out those cemented ones like i did on mine? That was a pita! Im guessing those cemented clays are 3' below gutter in pic.
I think we can also squeeze up through damper area and roxel exterior brick where liner wont be insulated

Pics of mine which is same as his....

View attachment 196765

Im gonna help my neighbor install an insert the way i did mine, removing clay liners, insulating and what not.

Was gonna use the same liner i did from sleepyhollow chimney supply but found 16' of this flexi-liner and cap on local listing for 100 bucks. Should we just use this liner and insulate it or go for the heavier stuff?
Thanks!
My insert came with a light wall liner, Vortex was the brand name, which is SBI's entry into the liner space. It would be the same one that came with the Drolet if you got the package deal.

I decided that I couldn't pass up on free, and heard similar feedback on it from the experts here- figure I'll get 15-20 years on it. It does glow on start up at times, probably more easily than heavy wall. But it's insulated, and because I didn't install the surround, I can keep an eye on it at the appliance connector.