Flexi-liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cableman

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2013
long island
20170403_165449.jpg

Im gonna help my neighbor install an insert the way i did mine, removing clay liners, insulating and what not.

Was gonna use the same liner i did from sleepyhollow chimney supply but found 16' of this flexi-liner and cap on local listing for 100 bucks. Should we just use this liner and insulate it or go for the heavier stuff?
Thanks!

I would go with the heavier stuff if it was me. What insert is it going on?

Gonna order a drolet escape 1800i

Gonna order a drolet escape 1800i
As long as he burns it correctly that liner should work ok for that insert but if it was me I would still want a heavier one.

For $100 I'd certainly use that liner. Unless he has multiple flue fires every year it'll be fine.

I would too. The 304 superflex stuff i used in mine was only 500 more, piece of mind for sure.

For $100 I'd certainly use that liner. Unless he has multiple flue fires every year it'll be fine.
I have seen them fail with out having multiple fires a year. But most of those were on old stoves without a baffle which is why I said for that stove it would work.

Reactions: webby3650
So use it or not? Lol
Just seems so flimsy Compaired to what i have

With a drolet, yes. I would

Just seems so flimsy Compaired to what i have
It is and we will not install a light wall liner on a wood stove. But many do. It will not last as long at all but with a modern stove being operated correctly it should hold up pretty well. I cant tell you one way or another. All I can do is tell you I see way more light wall liners failed than heavy wall ones.

For what it's worth my two single wall 316ti "light" liners are looking good ending their 11th season.

For what it's worth my two single wall 316ti "light" liners are looking good ending their 11th season.
Yeah we see many starting to fail around 18 to 20 years Like I said they will last quite a while but not as long as heavy wall.

We have light wall liners that are approaching 20 years and have no issues at all.

We have light wall liners that are approaching 20 years and have no issues at all.
Like I said that is the age we are seeing them starting to fail. Other than ones that were abused but if you abuse them you can destroy any liner no matter what it is.

He does have a liner in there now also but it looked a little damaged who ever forced it through the cut out damper. Ill have to get a pic of that one.

Like I said that is the age we are seeing them starting to fail. Other than ones that were abused but if you abuse them you can destroy any liner no matter what it is.
After 20 years these shown no signs of giving up. I've only seen one lightnwall liner crap out. I know you have seen a lot of them, but down here we just don't see them fail. Coal maybe?

In my case the liners should last longer than wood burning will. If heavy wall had been available I would have used it. Tried the double wall junk and yanked it after one season.

I was just giving a reference point. Not suggesting it. But for $100 that would be a good choice for what could be a lot of years. Especially depending on amount of burning done during the season.

After 20 years these shown no signs of giving up. I've only seen one lightnwall liner crap out. I know you have seen a lot of them, but down here we just don't see them fail. Coal maybe?
No not coal. A light wall liner with coal in it wont last 5 years. I don't enter coal into it even heavywall with coal you might get 15 years and rigid 20 or so if it stays together after the fasteners fail. We see I would say 6 or 7 failed liners a year.

I was just giving a reference point. Not suggesting it. But for $100 that would be a good choice for what could be a lot of years. Especially depending on amount of burning done during the season.
And I am not telling him one way or another just telling him what we see and what we do. He has to decide on his own.

Reactions: BrotherBart
20 or more years of normal use for $100? Absolutely I'd do it, no doubt about it.

All good info here. For the OP and anybody else passing through.

20 or more years of normal use for $100? Absolutely I'd do it, no doubt about it.
For $100 I might too, I don't know. I would certainly give it some serious thought at that price

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: webby3650
That's a nice find. Based on how I run the stove and burning dry wood, I'd grab that liner in a heartbeat, especially if the neighbor is trying to save some bucks by going with the Drolet and having you help with the DIY install. On the other hand if the neighbor is going to burn poorly seasoned wood and maybe has a sweep that's aggressive with the brush, then a heavy liner may be a safer bet.

Last edited:
We'll be the sweeps for chimney cleaning.

The guy got the liner up in vt where his other house is, liner itself didnt say flexi-liner but the top plate did so thats what he told me the make was
It does look like a legit ss liner for wood correct?

Last edited:
It does look like a legit ss liner for wood correct?
There is no way for us to know that just from pics. But if it is stainless and non magnetic it should be fine. The only stainless that isn't very good for wood is the stuff made for gas which I ant remember the alloy right now. But it is easy to recognize because it is magnetic.