Flexibility of DuraVent DuraFlex Pro & 304 Stainless Liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ARGlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2010
Arkansas
Hi All,

Would any of you know which is the more flexible product? DuraVents DuraFlex Pro liner or their 304 stainless liner? We have a 30 degree offset in an existing 8 inch metal round chimney that we need to run a 6 inch stainless flex liner through. The offset is about 3/4 up the 14 1/2 foot chimney.

304 is the least expensive one and if it will work, we will just use the 304.

Thanks!

AR

What chimney is this liner going through and what will it be hooked to?

It's going through an existing metal chimney that is 14 1/2 feet tall from bottom of firebox to top. It will be hooked to the 6 inch outlet on a new Pacific Energy Summit Insert. Thanks!

Forgot to mention the existing chimney is 8 inch diameter round.

Forgot to mention the existing chimney is 8 inch diameter round.
I take it this is going into a zero clearance fireplace. If so what model fireplace is it most zero clearance fireplaces do not allow inserts to be installed in them. The first thing to do is find out if your fireplace is one of the few that allows it.

It is but the owner is having a contractor come in and rebuild the firebox to accommodate the PE Summit Insert. This is costly but that is what he wants. Which liner would you use for best flexibility to pass through the 30 degree offset? Maybe both would be ok in this application. We primarily deal with 3 and 4 inch pellet venting thus the questions. The Pro is better quality as I understand. Thanks! AR

It is but the owner is having a contractor come in and rebuild the firebox to accommodate the PE Summit Insert.

so they're having a full masonry chimney built to put an insert into? might be better off at looking into zero clearance units instead

They plan on dropping the floor in the existing firebox so the surround will be down against the brick hearth and unit will clear lintel by about three inches. There is quite a lot of space just behind and above the lintel so 6 inch flex should be no problem. They wanted the Summit and no other options that were offered. There is one unit that would not require any modifications that was offered and they declined.

Any idea on the most flexible option between the 304 Flex and DuraFlex Pro 6 inch materials?

Thanks!
AR

Last edited by a moderator:
They plan on dropping the floor in the existing firebox so the surround will be down against the brick hearth and unit will clear lintel by about three inches. There is quite a lot of space just behind and above the lintel so 6 inch flex should be no problem. They wanted the Summit and no other options that were offered. There is one unit that would not require any modifications that was offered and they declined.

Any idea on the most flexible option between the 304 Flex and DuraFlex Pro 6 inch materials?

Thanks!

AR
They absolutly cannot do that if this is a zero clearance fireplace. It will cause a fire. Those fireboxes cannot be modified in any way. I would recomend nothing in this case and walk away from the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bholler, I'll pass this info on.

Out of curiosity, I wonder which DuraVent is more flexible, 304 or the DuraFlex Pro?

I dont use dura products or light wall liners for wood so i cant answer that.

DuraFlex PRO is much more flexible than standard DuraFlex 304. That is one of the many reasons it is used.
That said, you need to pay attention to other advice offered here. A wood-burning insert is intended to go in a MASONRY fireplace.
While some appliance manufacturers say their inserts can go into factory-built fireplaces, it is contentious. In Canada, this is NOT permitted within the installation code. If you are going to do it, be sure to follow the insert manufacturers instructions closely. If you need to modify the existing fireplace to make room, likely a big red flag that this is not the right option.

He either went ahead with it and burned the house down, or walked away like what was suggest seeing how you just replied to a 1.5 year old post...