Lining 8-inch rigid liner with 6-inch flexible liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slate Dale

Dec 27, 2021
Slatington, Pennsylvania
Getting a new wood stove. I'd like to change the 8-inch rigid stainless lined (inside masonry chimney) wood stove exhaust to a 6-inch exhaust, by running 6-inch flexible liner through the 8-inch liner.

It would probably be easy it was a straight, vertical run, but the rigid liner makes a 45 degree turn at the very bottom, just before it protrudes through the poured cement basement wall. Can any 6-inch flexible liner follow a 45-degree turn in a rigid 8-inch rigid liner? Thanks for your help.

I think a smaller diameter liner will give better venting performance with this new non-cat stove, instead of the old stove's 8-inch exhaust.

But can I work the smaller liner through the 45 -degree turn? I don't want to buy any liner until I'm reasonably sure it will fit.

A mid weight liner will probably go through as long as it doesn't have a tee body on the bottom