Flexible pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey_pelletstove

Nov 15, 2012
Hi folks,

The rain cap blew off my chimney and the next thing I know, the whole flexible pipe fell down out and onto my living room floor.

There is a lot of cold air coming down my chimney.

What do you block off the chimney with and where should that be done? What's the best way to re-install the pipe?

Where's the damper?, get a ladder and reattach with hose clamps

Sounds like it was not installed correctly. Start with who installed it. I do not see a chimney liner coming all the way out, it is to rigid. Something is not right here.

Eric

Sounds like it was not installed correctly. Start with who installed it. I do not see a chimney liner coming all the way out, it is to rigid. Something is not right here.

Eric
+++1
Flexible liner is really not that flexible...unless your flue is absolutely massive something else is not up to snuff.
You could stuff it w/insulation for now to block off the cold air.

Where's the damper?, get a ladder and reattach with hose clamps

Eric
there was just the flexible pipe inside the chimney and I guess nothing holding it secure except a raincap - how should it be connected securely at the top?

+++1
Flexible liner is really not that flexible...unless your flue is absolutely massive something else is not up to snuff.
You could stuff it w/insulation for now to block off the cold air.
I did that, thanks for the reminder - actually surprised how much warmer the room was this a.m. - ordinarily a whole lot colder - wondering if this has been a problem before - this pipe was probably slipping down for a while I think

I bet it is not the correct pipe. See how this stays in place and it was a 25' liner job.

Eric

Attachments

• 2010-11-07_10-07-03_404.jpg
    2010-11-07_10-07-03_404.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 84
There should be a top plate that secures to the liner, then the cap will secure to the top plate. I have never seen/heard of a liner falling out of the chimney. Something sounds fishy. Can you post some pics? Maybe we can help you figure out what happened.

There should be a top plate that secures to the liner, then the cap will secure to the top plate. I have never seen/heard of a liner falling out of the chimney. Something sounds fishy. Can you post some pics? Maybe we can help you figure out what happened.
I think the top plate was never installed like you say. I couldn't believe it when the pipe fell down just because the cap blew off. Someone installed an interesting looking round piece of metal over the chimney under where the rain cap was. Wish I could take a picture but I've bunged up my ankle going up the ladder. I put a call in to have someone take a look next week - they're not a pellet stove repair but I'll tell them what you told me. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.