floor protection for Jotul F600 Firelight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fulksb

Feb 9, 2013
Can someone please clear this up for me once and for all?

I am preparing to build hearth for new Jotul F600 Firelight. I am somewhat confused by the floor protection requirement in the product manual. The wording does not specify an R-value, but rather states that I need
"noncombustible material for protection from radiant heat, sparks, and embers."
The best I can tell, after searching this forum, is that this wording means I simply need to create the non-combustible floor (slate tile is my preference) with no need to worry about R-Value from products such as Durock. Please help me feel confident on this decision...

Sounds like you have it figured out. Non-combustible is what you need.

I would still suggest putting down durock before the tile, not so much for the stove's requirement but for the tile's safety. Nothing more disappointing than a cracked tile.

Also, when building a hearth, it never hurts to go a bit 'big'. It may be 20 years down the road, but if you do it a little 'heavy' now, and decide to replace the stove someday, no reason not to have a hearth that could handle a variety of things that may have a slightly bigger requirement.

pen

You've got it . . . but I would personally recommend the Durock as well.

A) A little extra protection never hurts and gives a lot of peace of mind for just a little bit extra work.
B) As Pen mentioned it will help prevent any flexing of the slate.
C) Down the road if you some day elect to get a woodstove that has a R value you might luck out and have the R-value in your hearth already . . . although this reason may be a bit weak admittedly since the R value is very dependent on the stove manufacturer

For the record, I too went with slate . . . two layers of plywood, layer of Durock and slate tile. No cracking. No issues. I just clean it and apply some sealant every Fall.

I have a Jotul F600 sitting on our brick hearth extension and I can tell you that there is very little heat coming out from the bottom of the stove. You have an ash pan down there and then a heat shield, so you can put your hand on the hearth under the stove and it's barely warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.