Floor protection needs to be level with hearth? (Drolet 1800i insert)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

philNC

Nov 16, 2019
Greensboro, NC
Installing Drolet 1800i into masonry fireplace. Manual says I need floor protection with an R value greater than 1.00. This should work: https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/stoveboards.php . I was going to pop out the piece of quarter-round where the floor meets the brick and lay one of these stove boards down.

My problem, though, is that the manual says the top of the floor protection should be level with the top of the hearth. How should I do that?
Screenshot_20191206-194920~2.pngScreenshot_20191206-194846~2.pngIMG_20191206_204323.jpgIMG_20191206_203546.jpg

Sounds to me like you need a hearth pad...available at your local big box, farm, or hearth store...

Oops, I missed the part where you had that figured out already...not sure why it need to be level with the existing hearth...but I would think you could use wood of the appropriate thickness to "shim it up" since it sits on wood anyways...

Reactions: philNC
Oops, I missed the part where you had that figured out already...not sure why it need to be level with the existing hearth...but I would think you could use wood of the appropriate thickness to "shim it up" since it sits on wood anyways...

I'm not sure either! Unless somebody can spell out for me what I'm missing here, raising it with a little wooden frame is my plan.

I did not read that as the non combustible pad must be level. I read that as if the hearth is any where from level to less than 5” above the floor you must have pad extending 23” in front of unit and have an R value of 1 or greater.

read it a third time and the statement start out with “if” you need floor protection (F less than 5”). It “ must” have R value greater than one. no mention of must be level with.

That is really meant for flush hearths or close to it. You are close enough that this example below is the more applicable rule . If you go with a hearth extension pad of R=1 it will exceed requirement and should be fine.

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 3.06.38 PM.png

Thanks @EbS-P and @begreen !

However, I unfortunately realized while staring at this last night that I have another problem.

In the 2016 version of the 1800i manual, it calls for 20" of clearance from top of insert to top combustible surround, and 22" to combustible mantel. An appendix shows the optional installation of a heat shield above the door that cuts the clearances to 12" for the combustible mantel and 11" for the top combustible surround.

But, the 2019 version of the 1800i manual shows both clearances at 27", and there is no mention anywhere in the manual of adding the heat shield to reduce them.

I only have 16 5/8" to the bottom of the mantel, which is 3.5" thick. The top combustible surround starts just above the mantel, or 20 1/8" from the top of the insert.

I already paid for the insert and it is arriving at my house Wednesday. When I was doing my homework for this, I somehow was going off of the 2016 manual. Now I don't know what to do!

Was the older manual posted on the company sight you purchased the insert from?

So I was paying attention to the 1800 insert on Costco site and they switched models to the new 2020 epa version sometime around October. I think the real question is what model are you getting. I was able to find the heat shield for the old model on Dolets website. Part number AC01317. I think a call to Drolet might be helpful. It’s a noticeable revision if the new model no longer was tested with the heat shield and it’s no longer an option.

What manual came with the insert?

Give Drolet support a call on Monday. Hopefully this is a documentation oversight. It happens. If you download the sister model Osburn 2000 you will see that they include the shield option. You might even be able to use the Osburn heat shield on the Drolet. That reduces the clearance down to 21".
From the Osburn 2000 insert manual:
8.3 Installation of a Combustible Mantel Shelf It is possible to install a combustible shelf with a maximum depth of 12" at a height of at least 27" above the insert. At a height of more than 27", the shelf must still have a maximum depth of 12". Refer to «Figure 15: Shelf Clearances».
Note that you can reduce the mantel shelf clearance (distance between the insert and the shelf) with the use of a heat shield, sold separately. See «Appendix 6: Optional Heat Shield Installation» for details.
Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 6.33.53 PM.png

Was the older manual posted on the company sight you purchased the insert from?

I bought it from myfireplaceproducts, and they have the 2019 version posted. If you Google for the manual, the 2016 version is the first result, hosted on the Drolet site. I guess that's how it happened that I ended up with both. If you actually look the model up on the Drolet site, it shows the 2019 version too.

So I was paying attention to the 1800 insert on Costco site and they switched models to the new 2020 epa version sometime around October. I think the real question is what model are you getting. I was able to find the heat shield for the old model on Dolets website. Part number AC01317. I think a call to Drolet might be helpful. It’s a noticeable revision if the new model no longer was tested with the heat shield and it’s no longer an option.

That might explain why I ended up with the old manual then...if all the vendors just switched recently that would make sense because I started researching earlier this year.

I bought it from myfireplaceproducts, and they have the 2019 version posted. If you Google for the manual, the 2016 version is the first result, hosted on the Drolet site. I guess that's how it happened that I ended up with both. If you actually look the model up on the Drolet site, it shows the 2019 version too.
If Drolet doesn't have a solution for you, maybe you can refuse the shipment and switch to the Century 2900.

What manual came with the insert?

Give Drolet support a call on Monday. Hopefully this is a documentation oversight. It happens. If you download the sister model Osburn 2000 you will see that they include the shield option. You might even be able to use the Osburn heat shield on the Drolet. That reduces the clearance down to 21".
From the Osburn 2000 insert manual:
8.3 Installation of a Combustible Mantel Shelf It is possible to install a combustible shelf with a maximum depth of 12" at a height of at least 27" above the insert. At a height of more than 27", the shelf must still have a maximum depth of 12". Refer to «Figure 15: Shelf Clearances».
Note that you can reduce the mantel shelf clearance (distance between the insert and the shelf) with the use of a heat shield, sold separately. See «Appendix 6: Optional Heat Shield Installation» for details.
View attachment 253078

I called Drolet, who immediately transferred me to MyFireplaceProducts. The man there noted that the Century and Osburn sister models are not updated for 2020. Refusing the shipment would put me out $250 to $300, which I guess could be worse. He is looking in to it with the engineering department and due to get back to me.

I note that the HomeSaver mantel shield lists a reduction to 18" clearance when installed.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.04.31 PM.png

Either the mantle has to go or the stove has to go back. If I were in your position. I'd take the loss on shipping and get the Century. We all make mistakes.

that’s a tough decision. Return shipping is a significant portion of the purchase price. But only about one pallet of bio bricks. The reality is the small clearance to combustibles is the issue. Can it be addressed for less than the return shipping?

@begreen @Mech e @EbS-P

Well, the guy at SBI just called back. He said that they could only cut the clearance to 21" with a shield.
That is what the docs say for the Osburn too.

Another option is to install a non-combustible mantel. This can be done pretty tastefully. Someone recently indicated they are going to put in a bluestone mantel to get around this issue.
Search on non combustible mantel

That is what the docs say for the Osburn too.

Another option is to install a non-combustible mantel. This can be done pretty tastefully. Someone recently indicated they are going to put in a bluestone mantel to get around this issue.
Search on non combustible mantel

If it needs 27" to mantel AND top surround would that do it though?

I don't think so. You need 21" with a heat shield. In an earlier post, you said the surround was at 20.125". You are still a bit short.