floor protection????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill agree with you in theory but plywood is not going to distribuate the weight evenly on the carpet. There will still be pressure points where the studs land. Granted the plywood will help distribute the load that piece of carpet will see a constant load as to the rest. Even when you walk or stand you are never in one place for 24/7. Ever seen wear marks in carpet in frequentlytraveled areas? As a suggestion have a carpet guy remove exactly the piece under the hearth (with a carpet knife). Then store it and have it seamed back in when you remove it. That way you will only have the fade and wear issue.

nshif said:
Ill agree with you in theory but plywood is not going to distribuate the weight evenly on the carpet. There will still be pressure points where the studs land. Granted the plywood will help distribute the load that piece of carpet will see a constant load as to the rest. Even when you walk or stand you are never in one place for 24/7. Ever seen wear marks in carpet in frequentlytraveled areas? As a suggestion have a carpet guy remove exactly the piece under the hearth (with a carpet knife). Then store it and have it seamed back in when you remove it. That way you will only have the fade and wear issue.

Nothings perfect but remember, walking still exerts 25 times the pressure that this pad will so you can stand to have localized hot spots of higher pressure and still not exceed walking PSI. I do however, like your suggestion for another reason: installation of a VC Intrepid II REQUIRES carpet removal even with a bottom heat shield and a UL approved hearth........

ragards

I would definitely suggest removing the carpet.

Ask yourself this: What is the benefit of leaving the carpet under the pad?

What is the floor under the carpet (plywood, concrete...)? Depending, you could have the carpet cut out from the area of the pad and the edges either trimmed in metal or turned and tucked to make the transition to your hearth pad. In either case, the transition will look finished and professional and the rest will not be an issue.

MrGriz said:
I would definitely suggest removing the carpet.

Ask yourself this: What is the benefit of leaving the carpet under the pad?

What is the floor under the carpet (plywood, concrete...)? Depending, you could have the carpet cut out from the area of the pad and the edges either trimmed in metal or turned and tucked to make the transition to your hearth pad. In either case, the transition will look finished and professional and the rest will not be an issue.

Folks......I think we're all in "violent agreement" on this especially since many manuals say to remove the carpet. I only responded because someone said it might crush the pad or carpeting.....when in fact the pressures are FAR LESS than for just about any other object (furniture) in your house!

Another good reason to cut the carpet out is that it gives you the chance to inspect the sub-flooring.....better to see its condition now and make any necessary repairs BEFORE you place a stove on it! :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.