Florida is the place to be selling wood right now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Florida's going crazy trying to get firewood with the polar vortex coming. The lady in the article has been selling wood off of 3 acres for 15 years. She obviously isn't selling in cords, one of her customers, had two pallets of firewood with bundles selling for $8 each. I've seen places selling these bundles for about $5, with about 8 pieces of wood, and I mentioned to my wife we have a small fortune in wood if we sold it. It also makes me appreciate that we can get wood for burning.

Every time I'm in a local store and see someone with a couple of those Duraflame Fire Logs in the nice wrappers sitting in their cart, I cringe. And they're always up front to get the impulse buyers.

The "hardwood" bundles around here are worse. Its like $6.99 for 7 pieces of bone dry birch that will be ash in 45 minutes. Would be more efficient go buy 2x4s and cut them. I see people buying 2-3 at once sometimes at Lowe's.

Just for fun I bought a pack once to experiment. Tossed them in the coals of the fire pit and it was like an explosion of flame. Lasted 20 minutes and it was dust.

I have to admit, we've been on some road trips with the rv and I was determined to have a fire to sit around and visit. Of course you're not supposed to take firewood with you, I really had to bite the bullet on that a couple times. I got over it after a couple beers.