Flue Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I have 3 two feet single wall chimney pipe sections that I need to add the self tapping screws. How do you do this and how deep do they go in each other. I am curious about this because when you need to remove them thee must be some room right? A pic of my setup is below. Also how deep does the adapter go in the top stove pipe.

Attachments

• 100_5423_1067x800.JPG
    100_5423_1067x800.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 158
By slip connector do you mean a stove pipe adapter because I have that. I am just confused as to how deep the pipes need to be in each other.

They will only go so far and they will stop on their own. He was referring to a section of pipe that is made to slip inside another piece. This allows you to make the final connection to the stove. Otherwise you will have to slid the stove under the pipe, there is no wiggle room once the pipe is attached. Although, if your pipe slips nicely over your chimney adapter you could use that as your slip. It would give you 4" or so.

Slip sections are typically 18" long and will slide all the way down to 4" or so.

I did not purchase anything like that I just bought pipe. Do I need to buy this. If not how can I remove the pipe in the future after they are screwed together?

Hey do I also need a locking band to connect the chimney pipe to the flue pipe adapter?

I did not purchase anything like that I just bought pipe. Do I need to buy this. If not how can I remove the pipe in the future after they are screwed together?
If the pipe will slip over the chimney adapter all the way to the top, that would be your slip. It should do it.
Slid it all the way up, put the stove under it and then slid it back down that last few inches. To take it apart, remove the screws and slip the pipe up.

Reactions: 04HemiRam2500
Thanks so much webby3650!!!!! Also, since the single wall pipe go out of shape is it okay to do my best to bend it into a circle plus the self tapping screws should help correct its circle right?

Another question that I had about the cathedral ceiling box is the band that goes over the triple wall pipe and goes on top of the box the inside. How does this support the chimney?

if your pipe slips nicely over your chimney adapter you could use that as your slip.
So what that guy did at my BIL's is legit? But what happened to his was that he got a couple of hot fires going and ended up burning the paint off the adaptor...then you've got a stainless pipe showing at the top and black the rest of the way down.

Hey do I also need a locking band to connect the chimney pipe to the flue pipe adapter?
No, it doesn't allow for one there, twist it on and then drive a screw through outer wall of the chimney and into the adapter.
I wondered about that too, since it was easy to twist the adaptor on and off the bottom chimney section.

So what that guy did at my BIL's is legit? But what happened to his was that he got a couple of hot fires going and ended up burning the paint off the adaptor...then you've got a stainless pipe showing at the top and black the rest of the way down.
That's weird. I have 2 of those adapters at my house and they are still black. I see a used one from time to time and they are always still black. Maybe he had one with faulty paint.?

Thanks so much webby3650!!!!! Also, since the single wall pipe go out of shape is it okay to do my best to bend it into a circle plus the self tapping screws should help correct its circle right?
Ya, just bend it back as best you can and screw it together.
Another question that I had about the cathedral ceiling box is the band that goes over the triple wall pipe and goes on top of the box the inside. How does this support the chimney?
It does! Just clamp it down tight and then put 4 screws through it and into the outer wall of the chimney.
Are you sure it's triple wall? Double wall is a lot more common these days.

How does that band support the chimney though? Is it suppose to go through the cathedral ceiling box or does it just rest ontop of the inside of it?

Okay so I am not going to get it through the hole! Got ya. Thanks man for all the help!!!!

Make sure the chimney sticks through the box a few inches.

Okay Yeah I am looking at it sticking in about 3 inches. Thanks!!

How does the band support the chimney if it just sits in the box though? Just does not make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.