Flue Temp for Hearthstone Shelbourne?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Olasko

Jan 31, 2022
Northeast
I bought a new Hearthstone Shelburne 8372 (catalyst) this year and its been running about a month. It puts off great heat and everything seems to work great. One thing I have noticed is the flue temp seems to be low, 250 about 12 inches from the stove and then before it hits the chimney its maybe 190: its an L shaped connection with less that 4 feet total pipe. I have seen mixed information on the flue temp; manual docent give anything specific either. Some items have said that catalyst run lower so I wasn't too worried at first; its always run at the higher end in its catalyst reading and I don't want it to run too hot and cause problems to it. Today I did notice what looks like creosote coming out of the thimble. I am in the northeast though and we just got about 2 feet of snow; I do have a chimney cover but wondering if maybe the high wind and snow might have just added some water coming down.

My two questions are:

Should I still run a hot burn with the bypass on in a catalyst stove?
What is the expected flue temp of a catalyst stove?

I have shut the stove down and am looking for chimney sweeps now also but more just curious on the flu temp. The manual dosent say anything

EDIT: it is a single wall stove pipe, not into a chimney liner. If I recall right its a 7 by 12 inch clay. My father in law did the inspection; he's had a wood stove for ever and has done his own maintenance; pretty solid when it comes to this but this is making me second guess it.

Last edited:
Are the temps with a surface thermometer on single-wall stove pipe or with a probe on double-wall stovepipe?

Is the stove connected to an insulated stainless steel liner in the chimney?

Are the temps with a surface thermometer on single-wall stove pipe or with a probe on double-wall stovepipe?

Is the stove connected to an insulated stainless steel liner in the chimney?
I updated my post hopefully so its easier for all. It is a surface magnet thermometer.

I bought a new Hearthstone Shelburne 8372 (catalyst) this year and its been running about a month. It puts off great heat and everything seems to work great. One thing I have noticed is the flue temp seems to be low, 250 about 12 inches from the stove and then before it hits the chimney its maybe 190: its an L shaped connection with less that 4 feet total pipe. I have seen mixed information on the flue temp; manual docent give anything specific either. Some items have said that catalyst run lower so I wasn't too worried at first; its always run at the higher end in its catalyst reading and I don't want it to run too hot and cause problems to it. Today I did notice what looks like creosote coming out of the thimble. I am in the northeast though and we just got about 2 feet of snow; I do have a chimney cover but wondering if maybe the high wind and snow might have just added some water coming down.

My two questions are:

Should I still run a hot burn with the bypass on in a catalyst stove?
What is the expected flue temp of a catalyst stove?

I have shut the stove down and am looking for chimney sweeps now also but more just curious on the flu temp. The manual dosent say anything

EDIT: it is a single wall stove pipe, not into a chimney liner. If I recall right its a 7 by 12 inch clay. My father in law did the inspection; he's had a wood stove for ever and has done his own maintenance; pretty solid when it comes to this but this is making me second guess it.
Those are pretty low temps to have on single wall pipe 12" from the stove if your at the high end of the catalyst thermometer. Id guess you have double wall. Also, your chimney setup should have a 6" insulated liner installed in it per the manual. The oversized liner will reduce draft and cause accelerated creosote accumulation.

With single wall 12" from the stove using an IR gun I see 300-400 when cruising, 275-325 during coaling, 450+ at peak temps although id prefer to keep it below 450.

OK, I see the update. That does not sound good, but not terrible. A 250º surface reading would be about 450-500º inside flue gas temp. But that is at about 18-24" above the stovetop. Not sure at 12" because the heat from the stovetop may be an influence. This stove really should have doublewall stovepipe to keep the flue gases hotter. The real issue is dumping into the 7x11 flue tile. That is oversized and will cool down the flue gases and slow down draft. How much will depend on how tall the chimney is and exterior exposure. The chimney should be checked for creosote buildup.