Flue Vent Wizardry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
I thought you guys & gals might like this. It's a stove for sale ad I ran across recently - I wonder how the draft is on this setup when starting a fire...?

Attachments

• Flue Vent.JPG
    Flue Vent.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 324
He's probably selling it to get a taller model, so he can do a few flue loops on the way down to fireplace level.

If you have at least three complete loops in your flue corkscrew, it provides a massive boost to your stove's Fun Rating.

New owners often forget that you can do a few loops up top, too! There's plenty of room up there.

The ad said that it works great, but the wife does not like the way the stovepipe arrangement looks, so he is looking for a stove with a rear vent. That will probably work out for both aesthetics and operation: It will look nicer, and the replacement stove will breathe properly. That's a win-win!

I thought you guys & gals might like this. It's a stove for sale ad I ran across recently - I wonder how the draft is on this setup when starting a fire...?

Wow!

It is a beautiful hearth!!!

Some stoves are downdraft. Not like it hasnt been done before. Once burning it probably actually works.