Folding Trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone at work here has one similar to that - doesn't use it for wood, but it seems to work pretty well. Is the folding something you would really need? Some of the ones I've seen (maybe not this one) cannot fold if you attach the flooring to the frame, so each time you fold it to store, you would have to remove the flooring. To me, that would make it more of a pain than its worth.

I looked at the directions. I think you can put two pieces of plywood so it still folds. The sides you would still have to take off.

Buddy had one awhile back (5 or 6 years ago). Not sure if he used loc-tite on it or not during assembly, but complained that it kept falling apart. He ended up junking it last year.

I imagine if you assembled it with loc-tite, and assembled it with care, it should be OK. I am just not to thrilled about trailers that bolt together. Not trying to bash it, just feel leery about it. Payload is OK, but, wood adds up quick. Have you checked places like tractor supply? I don't think folding trailers (or tilting) will have a payload like other non folding ones.

What kind of vehicle are going to tow it with? KD

thanks for the tips
I will pull it with a VW Beetle (new version).
I'll check out tractor supply too. I forgot about them. They're new around here.

OK, with the beetle, your not gonna be pulling allot anyways, so payload is about max for your vehicle (with that trailer). So, that leaves your options to about 1500 lbs or less. So with that in mind, your in the right size range. Anything heavier and your gonna have the tail waggin the dog. If it's for occasional use, then I would say go for it. But, still gotta check out all your options, just to be sure.

BTW, is your beetle a gasser or a diesel? KD

I would agree that it would probably work out fine if the storage of the trailer is a concern, and pretty light use - definately don't overload it (and the weight can add up quick!!). If the storage of the trailer is not a problem, then I would probably look around for a used (non-folding) small trailer which would be able to take a little more abuse. All things considered... it would probably be fine for the vehicle you are towing it with. But just be careful - that is a lot of weight to be potentially pulling with the VW.

Thanks again. It is a diesel with 192k miles and still going strong, knock on wood.
I looked at the trailers at TSC and HF last night. The TSC's weren't that impressive. I saw no method to attach stakes, but there might be. I also don't know how great that mesh stuff is for a floor. They have one mast coming out to the coupler instead of a triangle - I don't know what that means either. The non-folding HF trailer has a better wheel and axle combo and the stakes fit in through holes in the rails. To me the gauge of the two looked similar. I guess if one was going to be running it for any distance better tires and a spare wheel/tire might be good.

OK, sounds like you did your homework. I thought I recognized your "handle" from the TDI club;) I have a TDI Passat, used to have a TDI Jetta till we needed something larger and went with the Passat.

So, if you like what you see, then go for the harbor freight one. I looked at the ones from TSC, and I agree, I wonder how much abuse the expanded steel floor would take. Sounds like the HF one is built a little better and maybe the quality has gone up. Worse comes to worse, at a later date, you can always weld the bolted pieces together, but, if you use loc-tite, I see no reason why you would need to. Maybe hit the bolts with oil once a year to help keep rust away (I'm sure the bolts are just zinc electroplated if that). KD

I have that Harbor Freight trailer and have been really happy with it. I built solid plywood sides and have filled it up about 18 inches deep with logs. The bed will tilt down which is very convenient when loading large rounds.

The nuts that fasten it together are locking type and I have never had a problem with them loosening. I would say it is an incredible value especially when it is on sale. Assembling it is kind of a pain, but my son and I had fun together.

I have only folded it up occasionally. The casters that it is supposed to roll around on are junk plastic. I replaced them with metal ones. I also added a tongue jack from Harbor Freight.

I bought it yesterday for 239 and brought it home in my Beetle; now on the floor awaiting assembly. :)
Price is good til 1/15.
ethcad, may I ask how how the sides are that you built?

etchad,
Do you recall what thickness plywood you used for the floor and sides?
I think the manual says 3/4" but I wonder if there really is room for that when it is folded?
Did you put the plywood sides on the outside of the stakes so that 4x8 sheets could fit, or do you transport the sheets with the stakes out and strap it down?
Did you attach angle iron on the corners of the sides like the manual says?
Do you think the trailer would be stronger if the plywood was a solid piece and the trailer was made not to fold?
Also, the bearings have some grease in them already - I plan on cleaning them, but is this really a waste of time?
(Note: The hubs have zerk fittings so they can be re-greased pretty easily, I guess.)

Sorry for all the questions, but it fantastic to find someone who has the exact same trailer.

I might try to finish putting it together today.

Years ago I had this trailer. 1992 to be exact. I used it for about 2 years and sold it to a friend who used it for a few more years and sold it to one of his friends. I'm not sure what happened to it after that.

As I recall, I did not trim the 4x8 sheet of 3/4" exterior grade plywood. I just cut it in half. I never folded it though and wished that I hadn't cut it in half. It would have added more stability....but not much. For the sides, I just used 1x4"'s. I remember thinking it was a lot of bolts holding it together and wished I'd use an impact socket to speed things along.

Just remember, it does not hold a lot of weight and will be easy to overload quickly. I also recall almost losing my fingers with the tilt bed. It snapped back because the load was not properly distributed. For the money, it's a nice little trailer. But after it's all together and you add up the cost of the wood, extra hardware, and time invested, I would have preferred to buy the same size landscape trailer at a TSC or Lowes for about the same amount spent.

I started with that trailer and moved to a 6x10 single axle landscape, then to a 6.5x12 single axle. I use to put solid oak round on that single axle trailer to the point the tires were almost flat. I ended up on my last and final trailer which is built like a tank. I bought it from a landscaper for $750 (less than I sold the single axle for) It's a 6.5x12' tandem. I could load this up and feel confident towing it. But moving a tandem axle trailer by hand is impossible.

For the sides on mine, I used half inch plywood 16 inches wide. There are two vertical 2x4s on each side that are attached to the plywood and slide into the loops on the side of the trailer. Along the top edge of the plywood sides, I screwed and glued another 2x4 to provide stiffness. At the corners where the sides and ends come together, I have 4 large eyebolts with wingnuts that slip through vertical holes to tie everything together. The eyebolts also provide an attachment point for lines to secure a load or tarp. I'll try to take some pics and post but hopefully you can picture it. It is pretty simple but cheap and rugged.

Dan

Well, I took it on its maiden voyage yesterday and got it inspected and picked up a piece of plywood for the deck.
I'm still not certain if I will cut the deck in half to make it folding.

You might as well cut it in half, you need that extra 1/2" inch of gap to make the 4x8 plywood overhang the bolt holes on the front and back perimieter frame enough to have a good piece of wood to bolt through.

I don't have the pictures with me but I'll add some later. I used one of those w/ 16" sides for a number of years. Hauled a lot of stuff with it, logs, soil, shredded bark. It held up great and was a heck of a value. I've since moved on to bigger trailers, but for its intended purpose it was superb.

Happy hauling!

Attached is a picture of the folding 4x8' trailer I used for about five years. It handled reasonable loads beautifully, and even handled excessive loads pretty well, too. Only problem I ever had was a seized wheel bearing, which was inconvenient but inexpensive. Better preventative maintenance would have prevented that problem. I used it to haul materials, help family and friends move, to carry outdoor gear, and even in my youthful landscaping and grounds maintenance endeavors.

Definitely got my money out of that trailer!

Attachments

• Ash_Removal.jpg
    Ash_Removal.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 371
I finally put a deck and sides on it.
I tried using 3/4" for the deck and it was too thick for the trailer to fold!
I went to 1/2" for the deck and sides.
I used hinges to secure the upper corners of the sides-can knock out the hinge pins to disassemble.
I can tell you one thing: it is very hard for one person to fold.
I think I will put a pulley or hoist on the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.