Follow-up on Piazzetta Sabrina

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldwood

Mar 16, 2014
VT
East Central VT, slightly used Sabrina, Cheetah II ash vac, and EM151 manometer, burned wood since 1982 with oil for hot water and to keep pipes in basement from freezing also would kick in before morning when fire died down. Older 2 story, 8 room farm type house, replacement windows and beefed up attic insulation, I still have oil but replaced the Vigilant wood stove with Sabrina, piped to 7" tile lined inside brick chimney. Closed in woodshed, bought 3 ton mixed Energex, 1 ton softwood Energex, 1 ton Fireside Ultra.
Temp is cool enough to run stove most days now, have it set in "energy saving mode" heat setting P-3, I set stove thermostat at 61 deg. F night and 65-67deg. F during the day and evening. Stove modulates between the P-3 and P-1 feed rate and smoke fan rpm but always shows the P-3 on display. On cooler days the stove will hold a constant temp with in + or - 1 deg. F. and run most of the time on low fire. On warmer days it will shut down at the +2 deg. and restart at -2 deg. F from the set point.
One 15 deg. day I set it on P-5 and monitored the readings, results as follow:
P-5 heat setting, 7.8 feed rate, 2530 fan rpm, 285 deg. F smoke probe, 248 deg. F in front of stove room discharge, -.43 to -.46 In-Wg manometer reading. I don't think there will be a problem heating when the temp drops below 0 !
I do vacuum ash pan and grate at least every other day and also clean glass. I will probably do in depth maintenance every 3-4 weeks now weather is cooler. I have not noticed a great difference in pellets as yet, but am only averaging 1 bag a day. I will be interested to see if the soft wood produce more heat with less ash.
Thanks for the info every one has contributed, sure makes it easier for us 1st timers!

Reactions: chken
Softwoods seem to burn slightly hotter and produce less ash generally. Hope you have surge protector, smoke & CO detectors, fire extinguisher in the stove room but not too near the stove so you can keep safe:)

Can't remember the Sabrina BTU ratings - your challenge when it gets colder will be getting heat to move well into those 8 rooms. How many square feet?

Welcome to the forum and pics or it never happened!

Softwoods seem to burn slightly hotter and produce less ash generally. Hope you have surge protector, smoke & CO detectors, fire extinguisher in the stove room but not too near the stove so you can keep safe:)

Can't remember the Sabrina BTU ratings - your challenge when it gets colder will be getting heat to move well into those 8 rooms. How many square feet?

Welcome to the forum and pics or it never happened!

What surge protector would you recommend ? BTU about 47000 I think, have extinguisher and combo detector, about 2000 sq. ft. total, stair case at each end so air circ not too bad, have overhead fan in room with stove and small door jamb mounted fan to move air. Worked with wood stove and that did not have it's own room supply fan as this stove has.
Thanks, oldwood

East Central VT, slightly used Sabrina, Cheetah II ash vac, and EM151 manometer, burned wood since 1982 with oil for hot water and to keep pipes in basement from freezing also would kick in before morning when fire died down. Older 2 story, 8 room farm type house, replacement windows and beefed up attic insulation, I still have oil but replaced the Vigilant wood stove with Sabrina, piped to 7" tile lined inside brick chimney. Closed in woodshed, bought 3 ton mixed Energex, 1 ton softwood Energex, 1 ton Fireside Ultra.
Temp is cool enough to run stove most days now, have it set in "energy saving mode" heat setting P-3, I set stove thermostat at 61 deg. F night and 65-67deg. F during the day and evening. Stove modulates between the P-3 and P-1 feed rate and smoke fan rpm but always shows the P-3 on display. On cooler days the stove will hold a constant temp with in + or - 1 deg. F. and run most of the time on low fire. On warmer days it will shut down at the +2 deg. and restart at -2 deg. F from the set point.
One 15 deg. day I set it on P-5 and monitored the readings, results as follow:
P-5 heat setting, 7.8 feed rate, 2530 fan rpm, 285 deg. F smoke probe, 248 deg. F in front of stove room discharge, -.43 to -.46 In-Wg manometer reading. I don't think there will be a problem heating when the temp drops below 0 !
I do vacuum ash pan and grate at least every other day and also clean glass. I will probably do in depth maintenance every 3-4 weeks now weather is cooler. I have not noticed a great difference in pellets as yet, but am only averaging 1 bag a day. I will be interested to see if the soft wood produce more heat with less ash.
Thanks for the info every one has contributed, sure makes it easier for us 1st timers!
Whew! That was a lot of info! Most people don't say enough, but you said a lot. Thanks.

If I'm not confused, the Energex and FSUs are from the same supplier, just different mills, so perhaps there shouldn't be much difference. I've burned FSUs and found them to be hot but ashy. I too get around 290deg F smoke on P5, with 8.1secs on the feed rate, with my manometer reading between 0.38 and 0.40, and a combustion fan speed of 2650rpm. I'd check, but I turned my stove off, because it's not that cold right now. I used Energy Saving mode last year, but have yet to turn it on this season. I'll do it when I need to run the stove 24/7. At the moment it's on a Chrono setting, startup at 6:30am.

What surge protector would you recommend ? BTU about 47000 I think, have extinguisher and combo detector, about 2000 sq. ft. total, stair case at each end so air circ not too bad, have overhead fan in room with stove and small door jamb mounted fan to move air. Worked with wood stove and that did not have it's own room supply fan as this stove has.
Thanks, oldwood
I have a whole house intermatic surge protector on my fuse box. On the stove, I have a new CyberPower 1000 UPS which gives about 40 mins of battery backup before shutdown. Stove runs fine on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.